Water remaining in washing machine drain hose

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npt344

Reaction score
Hi,
I have what's probably going to sound like a very stupid question but I'll ask anyway.
I bought a portable washer with a drain hose that drains into my kitchen sink. The instructions said that the height of the hose draining into the sink needed to be within a given height range. I've confirmed that it is in fact in the specified range. I've used the washer and everything seems to work fine but I notice after the final spin, the drain hose is mostly full of water (it's a clear hose). My thinking is that this is residual water from the final spin cycle. I don't want to drain the hose each time when I move the washer back into storage so I've just capped the hose with the water still in it.
Is this normal for water to remain in the drain hose? I mean with a conventional washer that drains to a standpipe of a given height is there some residual water left in the hose due to gravity? My concern is that by not draining the hose this could prove unsanitary overtime and contribute to mold and bacterial issues in the washer itself.

Is this normal for water to remain in the drain hose? I mean with a conventional washer that drains to a standpipe of a given height is there some residual water left in the hose due to gravity? My concern is that by not draining the hose this could prove unsanitary overtime and contribute to mold and bacterial issues in the washer itself.
It's not really possible to pump out all the water, without raising machine's cost to ridiculous level. You'll notice that most washers *start* their cycle by pumping out (as best they can) water left behind from last cycle. So manufacturers are aware of the problem. Given your concern, you might want to do what manufacturer of my front loader calls for:

Once a month, run the washer set for HOT water, no clothes, no soap/detergent, but with 3-4 ounces of liquid laundry bleach. In addition, after running the machine, keep the door, or presumably for you, the top lid, OPEN -at least a crack- to allow residual water to evaporate.
Front loaders are notorious for having mold growth, but I've followed their program religiously, and in the seven (?) years since purchase, the smell test says: No mold.
----- Hope this helps -----

Back