Water pump losing pressure / running to often.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayfb316

Reaction score
Hello. I have a well, and water pump. The water system has a chlorine tank that usually doesn't need to be refilled for months and only kicks on when the water pump runs.

I noticed it was emptying fast and the well pump slowly loses pressure with no faucets, spigots, toilets running. I looked around the house for any dripping faucets, running toilets, puddles, water damage, etc. And can not figure out why the pump isn't maintaining pressure.

Any suggestions?

Bump.

Also, when shutting off the main water line between the pump and the water treatment tanks the pump keeps pressure.

The pump started, lost pressure in about every 3 minutes and 30 seconds and kicked back on.

I now just have the main line shut off unless I need to use water.

@Valveman

He may be more familiar with your setup.

Unless you have a diagram of your arrangement for us to look at?

Bump.

Also, when shutting off the main water line between the pump and the water treatment tanks the pump keeps pressure.

The pump started, lost pressure in about every 3 minutes and 30 seconds and kicked back on.

I now just have the main line shut off unless I need to use water.

If you have isolated the house from the well system with a stop valve and now the pump system holds pressure then it sounds like you have a leak on the house side.

You need to isolate between hot/cold to determine which has the leak.

Turn the valve off to the water heater and then turn the main valve back on. If you have a hot water leak the pump will maintain pressure with the water heater stop valve off.

If you still can’t maintain pressure with the water heater off then you have a cold water leak some place.

Back