water pressure valve from my well

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwsvtcobra01

Reaction score
no clue about plumbing but fairly handy in general, bought the house the pressure is horrific 30psi im on well water im trying to figure out if this my water pressure valve its about 12" away from where the main line comes into the house and right in front of what im guessing is the pressure tank also has an old gauge just past it

Attachments

• IMG_6125.jpg
    IMG_6125.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 9
I don't understand water pressure valve? Do you want more pressure, is that what your getting at? You can't change the pressure with a valve, but you can by adjusting the pressure control switch, as long as your pump is capable of producing more pressure. First make sure that the gauge is accurate, replace it with a known good one, then check for plugged filter or a clogged softener screen if you have one.

More photos. It looks more like a check valve To me.

And you adjust system pressure at the pump control switch. Typically they are set to either 30-50, or 40-60-psi. A note of warning: if your system has been seeing lower pressure, an increase of pressure can cause leaks to show up.

And, the precharge pressure in your well tank needs to be set to 2-psi less than the pump cut-in pressure 28, with a 30-50 switch, 38 with a 40-60.

Fishsceener is correct and the best advice is to study up and learn how your well system functions. Tons of info on the web and you will certainly save a lot of expense and worry if you now learn how it all functions.
Just looking at the condition of the check valve and rusty pressure gauge ..... the rest of the system is probably due to be replaced.
I recently replaced my entire system and now have "peace of mind" knowing it should be fine for a decade. We do not have details about your well depth etc ..... but there are very knowledgeable folks on this forum that are willing to provide guidance.

Information such as : that pictured check valve ( one way valve ) really should not be there above ground. The submersible pump has a check valve in it and really should be the only one. The one above ground as pictured may be a "bandaid' to hold pressure within your pressure tank..... but it causes other problems ... my original system was also set up like that.

Attachments

• CSV1A.JPG
    CSV1A.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back