Water pressure too low

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partsman41953

Reaction score
Hello,

Around a year ago the city where I live installed new electronic meters so they could read the meters easier and I swear ever since then my water pressure went from very high, to the point I had to cut the pressure down at the meter, to very low now, where if I have my washing machine on and try to run my kitchen sink the water basically just drips out of the faucet. I called the water department and they said everything was okay on their end and there has to be something going on inside my house. I explained to the gentleman that this problem only started after the electronic meter was installed, but he insists all is good with the pressure going to my meter. In any case, what possibly could be the problem with my low water pressure and how do I increase it so I do not continue to have this problem.

Thanks

Start at the meter and work your way inside checking any components like stop valves or pressure reducing valves.

They may have sent debris down the line when replacing the meter which is clogging your system somewhere. Check the pressure at the meter and again at the house while water is flowing. If there is much difference in the pressure at those two points you have a blockage between.

As always, don’t confuse pressure with flow rate when sleuthing out this problem.

If you have any plumbing experience take the meter and spuds out and put a jumper in and see if you have your
pressure back and if you do then you have a bad meter. If you don't then something got clogged during the meter
install as mentioned.

If you have any plumbing experience take the meter and spuds out and put a jumper in and see if you have your
pressure back and if you do then you have a bad meter. If you don't then something got clogged during the meter
install as mentioned.
I bet if they catch you bypassing a meter it could be expensive!

Yes your right. Put the bypass on and see if that's the problem and then put the meter back. It sounds like
the water dept doesn't want to come and check their meter out. This is just a suggestion because if he isn't
comfortable doing it then call a plumber in and he will. As a plumber I have done this many times over the
years to see if there was a faulty meter.

Back