Water pressure too high?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your howling
i had a ceramic disc in a kitchen sink go bad, when the water was used it made a growling noie that made the dog and cat run and hide

a prv will not register the change in psi when it is lowered, till you open then close a valve

because the psi in the pipe is what it is, till it is bled off . savvy?

Yeah makes total sense and I did run the water between tests but I may not have run it long enough.

I believe everything was due to that expansion tank being out of air. Once I filled it the problems went away. No more howl and the toilets are not loud when filling anymore. I increased my water pressure to 60 psi with the PRV (which appears to work normally) and will monitor and see how that goes. I have about 55psi in the expansion tank which is probably good enough.

I believe everything was due to that expansion tank being out of air. Once I filled it the problems went away. No more howl and the toilets are not loud when filling anymore. I increased my water pressure to 60 psi with the PRV (which appears to work normally) and will monitor and see how that goes. I have about 55psi in the expansion tank which is probably good enough.
Sounds good ! As you said, you did take the water pressure off the tank first and then filled the tank with air up to 55 psi. Although when the size of the tank is calculated for your heated water system capacity and temperature differential, they may have recommend the next size larger, that's typically based on starting with the entire system being full of cold water and then being heated to its maximum set temperature. You typically won't see that happening, so the amount of expansion you ended up with, should be fine.

BTW- You never had your water heaters' relief valve blow off some excess pressure???

Sounds good ! As you said, you did take the water pressure off the tank first and then filled the tank with air up to 55 psi. Although when the size of the tank is calculated for your heated water system capacity and temperature differential, they may have recommend the next size larger, that's typically based on starting with the entire system being full of cold water and then being heated to its maximum set temperature. You typically won't see that happening, so the amount of expansion you ended up with, should be fine.

BTW- You never had your water heaters' relief valve blow off some excess pressure???

Never. The expansion tank was installed with the new water heater 3 years ago. The water heater before that never had an issue. I replaced it because it was taking longer and longer to heat the water and I was advised that since it had never been flushed that it would probably kill it to flush it. Old one was 15 years old at replacement.

Expansion tank precharge is supposed to be set to the maximum line pressure. If your PRV is set to 60-psi, the precharge should also be 60-psi.

On what pressure your prv should be: set to 60-psi. But all the fixtures and piping should rated at over 100-psi.

AWWA standards require reduction to 80-psi at the service. Only because older water heater TPVs tend to pop from pressure surges if the line pressure is up around 100-psi.

Expansion tank precharge is supposed to be set to the maximum line pressure. If your PRV is set to 60-psi, the precharge should also be 60-psi.

On what pressure your prv should be: set to 60-psi. But all the fixtures and piping should rated at over 100-psi.

AWWA standards require reduction to 80-psi at the service. Only because older water heater TPVs tend to pop from pressure surges if the line pressure is up around 100-psi.
I believe he had already put in 55 psi of air prior to deciding to set the PRV to 60 psi. Not a big deal. Of course once the system is refilled with 60 psi of water, the air pressure will be 60 psi. So in affect your just losing a little air volume.
Next time he goes through the effort of a recharge he'll probably match it then.:)

Latest posts

Back