water pressure tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewmgsa

Reaction score
My home has city water, however the water flow is weak. The pressure is good, just when more than 1 faucet is open the flow and pressure drops significantly. I can't replace the water main, and someone suggested adding a water pressure tank (usually used for well water?). My question is, will a tank be ok on it's own, or do I need the pressure booster system, which looks like the tank with a pump bolted to the top?

Problem might be that any well pressure tank is only 25% water i.e. a 30 gallon tank holds just under 8 gallons of fluid and the rest is air pressure and I imagine a pump to generate the pressure would be required.
..... seems like you're looking for a holding tank or cistern and then a pump system..... Sounds pricey.
The proper remedy is probably on the "input" side.... and the information source would be your municipal water department.

Last edited:
Get the pump with the tank. You could try just the pressure tank. Then add a pump if it won't keep up that way.

I'm thinking showers may be where you'll need the pump.

Why can't you replace the service coming in? Over time you'd have less grief.

Problem might be that any well pressure tank is only 25% water i.e. a 30 gallon tank holds just under 8 gallons of fluid and the rest is air pressure and I imagine a pump to generate the pressure would be required.
..... seems like you're looking for a holding tank or cistern and then a pump system..... Sounds pricey.
The proper remedy is probably on the "input" side.... and the information source would be your municipal water department.
thanks - I don't think it's the municipal side. The old galvanized pipe come up from under our house is 1/2 pipe and old. We think it is clogged so the flow is low. Replacing will cost over 6k and alot of digging we want to avoid.

Get the pump with the tank. You could try just the pressure tank. Then add a pump if it won't keep up that way.

I'm thinking showers may be where you'll need the pump.

Why can't you replace the service coming in? Over time you'd have less grief.
The way the house has been built up over the last 90 years, the original water main is below a lot of concreate when they added a front patio. The patio would have to be destroyed and I don't have 5k for the water main + 4k for new front patio.

thanks - I don't think it's the municipal side. The old galvanized pipe come up from under our house is 1/2 pipe and old. We think it is clogged so the flow is low. Replacing will cost over 6k and alot of digging we want to avoid.
Well you know what the best remedy is ..... especially for future value if you ever sell ........... I would be looking for someone with the expertise ( and a backhoe ) to run a pvc line for reasonable money.

I wouldn't use pvc for a main service line. In fact our city won't allow them.

Up here it's usually common place. It may not be a PVC ...... it's referred to as poly pipe

Attachments

• external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 4
I got a quote of $5,500 for a new water main - 26 feet from street to house. They have to dig 48in deep. Is that typical? North New Jersey area

Last edited:
Don't know about Jersey ...... but I'm pretty sure I could get it done around here for under a grand.

Don't know about Jersey ...... but I'm pretty sure I could get it done around here for under a grand.

I would do it for $500 but it would only be 12” deep. 🤷‍♂️

Man we’re lucky......

5k sounds just a bit high. Depth is right.
I'd get a couple more quotes.

Back