Water pressure tank inspection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewmgsa

Reaction score
Hi... I have low water flow from the water main that is under my front yard. It’s an old line and clogged. We still get ok pressure when using only one faucet. The moment we open a 2nd faucet it drops.
replacing the water main is over $5,000 and I don’t have the means now to pay that. So I found a solution that only costs $250.
I installed a 32 gallon water pressure tank right after the meter. No pump, just the tank. It helps a great deal. Only issue is that if we run a large wash load it empties the tank (32 gallon tank holds 9 gallons of water). Tank starts to fill back up, but for that short while; the pressure is back to low. Not a big deal at all because that is rare.
so the township said it won’t pass inspection because the only full solution is to have a pump added to the pressure tank. I told the inspector that it works just fine with no pump (pump will cost $1,500). He won’t allow this to pass inspection. I plan to sell my house soon, so am I SOL or can I fight to get it approved? Or should I just remove the tank and let the next owner deal with replacing the water main? Is the inspector correct? He won’t allow just the pressure tank without a pump?? Here is a pic of my work. I even have a pressure release valve, and a check valve. Seems up to all codes.

Attachments

• 5F563678-4551-46BD-899A-501F30BCEC44.jpeg
    5F563678-4551-46BD-899A-501F30BCEC44.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Without a booster pump a pressure tank is just another load or demand on the system. Sure you may get a spurt of 8 gallons as the tank empties, but after that the pressure will be even lower as not only is water going to the house but also has to refill the 8 gallons in the tank. Water doesn't come from the tank, it comes from a pump. You can get cheap jet pumps like this one. 1 HP Shallow Well Jet Pump Heavy Duty Water Jet Pump 110V w/ Pressure Switch | eBay

And the pump would work OK with that big tank. However, it would have worked better and give you stronger constant pressure using a PK1A kit with a Cycle Stop Valve and a 4.5 gallon size tank.

No pumps going to work when you can’t feed the pump because of the galvanized water main can’t deliver the volume.
He needs a new service

Hi... I have low water flow from the water main that is under my front yard. It’s an old line and clogged. We still get ok pressure when using only one faucet. The moment we open a 2nd faucet it drops.
replacing the water main is over $5,000 and I don’t have the means now to pay that. So I found a solution that only costs $250.
I installed a 32 gallon water pressure tank right after the meter. No pump, just the tank. It helps a great deal. Only issue is that if we run a large wash load it empties the tank (32 gallon tank holds 9 gallons of water). Tank starts to fill back up, but for that short while; the pressure is back to low. Not a big deal at all because that is rare.
so the township said it won’t pass inspection because the only full solution is to have a pump added to the pressure tank. I told the inspector that it works just fine with no pump (pump will cost $1,500). He won’t allow this to pass inspection. I plan to sell my house soon, so am I SOL or can I fight to get it approved? Or should I just remove the tank and let the next owner deal with replacing the water main? Is the inspector correct? He won’t allow just the pressure tank without a pump?? Here is a pic of my work. I even have a pressure release valve, and a check valve. Seems up to all codes.
Exactly what in the code is he failing it over?

Without a booster pump a pressure tank is just another load or demand on the system. Sure you may get a spurt of 8 gallons as the tank empties, but after that the pressure will be even lower as not only is water going to the house but also has to refill the 8 gallons in the tank. Water doesn't come from the tank, it comes from a pump. You can get cheap jet pumps like this one. 1 HP Shallow Well Jet Pump Heavy Duty Water Jet Pump 110V w/ Pressure Switch | eBay

And the pump would work OK with that big tank. However, it would have worked better and give you stronger constant pressure using a PK1A kit with a Cycle Stop Valve and a 4.5 gallon size tank.

Do you know if that pump is safe for potable water?

Buying a pump is like buying a generator (your pump ) with just a little fuel to run it and a tiny battery ( your tank ) to hold a charge.

The problem is the volume of water isn’t there to fill the demand called for.

the pump will have the same problem you’re having now , lack of water volume.

Water doesn't come from the tank, it comes from a pump.

No, it comes from his water meter through his rust filled galvanized water service.

The service can’t meet the demand because it can’t supply the volume of water through the pipe.

No pump will help that and once his pressure tank is exhausted his problem will be even worse than it is now because his tank will become a “ demand “

I feel like the tank on a public water source lets people know there's a problem. Get rid of it and take your chances with a buyer. The way people are buying houses with multiple bids they might not care.

If the supply from the city is so restricted it probably won't supply enough for a booster pump directly. You may need a cistern storage tank filled with a float valve like a toilet and then a booster pump.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Back