Water Pressure Low in Kitchen Island

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OUTex

Reaction score
The cold water has gotten low pressure now in my kitchen island. I thought maybe it was the faucet so I switched the hoses, connected the cold inlet to the hot and vice versa. The hot water , now connected to the cold side of the faucet had great pressure while the cold water, now connected to the hot side had low pressure. So I know both sides of the faucet allow for good pressure. So I think it is that the cold water pressure to the island in the kitchen has become low. I was thinking about buying longer hoses to check the pressure directly at the shut off valve in the island. The longer hoses would let me direct the water into the sink while I test it. Before i did that I want to know if it is possible that the water pipes to the island could be clogged or block and how could I know or fix it. My guess is that they run through the foundation.

Any suggestions?

Check the easy stuff first.

Replace the shutoff valve for the cold, under the sink.

Be sure to run some water out of the new valve, into a bucket, to purge it of loose crud and minerals, before hooking the faucet back up to it.

If that does not work, there might be an isolation valve elsewhere in the house that controls the cold water supply to the island.
That valve might be partially closed, or defective, or clogged with minerals.

Or the slab could have settled and is pinching the cold supply line.

Meanwhile, the way you describe how you swapped the hot and cold supplies to your faucet sounds confusing, like either you did it wrong or you are saying it wrong.
Or I am just confused reading it, sorry if that is the case.

So just eliminate the faucet for your next test.
Take the cold and hot supply hoses off from the faucet.
Test each supply valve separately, by running water through the supply hose, straight into a bucket.

If the pressure is good, the problem is in the faucet.
If either cold or hot has a weak output direct from the supply hose, then change the shutoff valve for that side.

Or try opening and closing the valve all the way, several times, in case minerals are trapped inside it, this can help them get out.

Actually what he did to test the faucet was a good approach. He tested two things at the same time.

He swapped the CW feed to the HW side of the faucet. And the HW feed to the CW side of the faucet.

So originally he was getting low CW pressure at the faucet and after switching feeds, he got low pressure on the HW side(from CW feed line) of the faucet.

So faucet is fine. Somewhere in the CW feed line.

Must assume that's the only fixture experiencing that problem.

When I go back and read his post again, the faucet test makes better sense now.

Part of the problem for me was the fact that the whole post just runs together.

As he plans, he can test the line from the shutoff. The only other thing would be to check the valve, by removing it and looking to see if there is any thing blocking it. A ball valve would make it easy to see through.

A wild shot in the dark would be, it's a globe valve and something got lodged in there.

Latest posts

Back