Water Pressure Loss in One Bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not_Soaked

Reaction score
Have a single floor slab home, 2 BR, 2 bath, in SW Florida. We've lost water pressure in the master bath but the rest of the house, kitchen, main bath, outdoor faucets all seem fine. It is affecting both hot and cold water and the toilet. The shower in that bathroom seems fine. At about the same time the water problem began we developed a water hammer but I don't know that they are related. I can find no leaks and the collection of symptoms just seems really odd. The water valves are not adjustable (that I know of) they just push/pull on and off. I'm asking for a few trouble shooting steps that make sense. The two things I can think of are to:
1. Swap out a known good fixture from the good bathroom and ensure the problem still exists.
2. Measure the water pressure at each valve. I'm assuming there's a reasonably priced gauge available for this task. Suggestions?

A couple more facts about the issue.
1. the water pressure in the affected bathroom seems about half of the other faucets.
2. The house is about six months old and this problem has developed over the last few months.
3. the water hammer seems only on the cold side (i think) and is not isolated to the bad bathroom fixtures.

Last question. If I call my local plumber is this kind of problem something he'd track down pretty easily?

Thanks...

Have you removed the aerator from the lavatory faucet ? It screws onto or into the spout where the water exists the spout.

Remove this snd check flow., Standing over the faucet looking down the aerator unscrewed counter clockwise.

Twowaxhack gave good advice.

Some junk might have come through the pipes and plugged up the faucet aerator, and the fill valve on the toilet.

Or junk might be stuck in the shutoff valves.

Those push/pull shutoff valves are cheap to install but they are garbage.

I would test the flow rate of the water directly from each shutoff valve.
Either use the existing flex supply line, or just buy another one to attach to each valve in turn.
Run water into a bucket.
If the flow is vigorous, the restrictions are in the faucet and fill valve.

Your problem would not affect water pressure, so a pressure gauge will not help.

Your problem is reduced flow rate.
Pressure is fine, flowing volume is weak.

Last edited:
Something also might have settled under the slab, and might be pinching the water lines.

Thanks. I'll try a couple of those fixes and update. Something settling under the slab sounds like it would be a big issue to deal with.

Update: Looks like the two bathroom faucets just need new aerators. When removed there's plenty of water and swapping out the good aerator from the other bath works like a charm. Ordered new aerators.

Thanks for your help. I'm 65 years old and have never just replaced an aerator before. After researching, sounds like this needs to be done periodically, and first swap needs to occur a few months after build on new construction. Live and learn I guess.

Haven't fixed the toilet yet but suspect I just need to disassemble, clean the valve and then flush out that water line.

Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Back