Water pressure issue- on city water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broberson

Reaction score
Over the last year, the water pressure has become an issue. Equipment installed includes a water softener with a bypass valve and a 6 station sprinkler system. At one point, I noticed the pressure was falling, and my neighbor happened to see it when I was washing my car. I couldn't spray the soap off of the car for more than ten seconds or so without the pressure falling. He mentioned that he had the same issue, and replaced the pressure reduction valve from the city side in his yard. Problem solved. After pricing them, I thought I'd try to take a pressure reading and see if adjusting the pressure would help. Initially it did, but it's back to falling off, to the point that you can't spray the hose for more than ten seconds or so, and you can't flush the toilet and run the sink at the same time. What is strange though, is the initial pressure when you open the cold or hot is fine. It flows really well. But after a few seconds it drops off.

Everything that I have done during all of this includes turning off the water softener and placing it on bypass. The water softener recharges each morning, which seemed a little excessive to me, not to mention it was causing the water bill to be pretty high. This is a rental house, so the "plumber" we requested to take a look at it seemed to think the whole issue was in the softener, because in the 4-6 months I had it turned off, the buildup from not having the softener in service allowed it to corrode everything again. He didn't service those, so he said I'll have to get someone else out there.

If that were the case, shouldn't the pressure be low from the initial opening of any valve or faucet on the house? Should I replace the pressure reduction valve on the supply line? I'm at a loss here, and I'm really tired of having to take a shower underneath a showerhead that I'm pretty sure I can pee harder than. If you need any other info, I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Thanks for reading.

Over the last year, the water pressure has become an issue. Equipment installed includes a water softener with a bypass valve and a 6 station sprinkler system. At one point, I noticed the pressure was falling, and my neighbor happened to see it when I was washing my car. I couldn't spray the soap off of the car for more than ten seconds or so without the pressure falling. He mentioned that he had the same issue, and replaced the pressure reduction valve from the city side in his yard. Problem solved. After pricing them, I thought I'd try to take a pressure reading and see if adjusting the pressure would help. Initially it did, but it's back to falling off, to the point that you can't spray the hose for more than ten seconds or so, and you can't flush the toilet and run the sink at the same time. What is strange though, is the initial pressure when you open the cold or hot is fine. It flows really well. But after a few seconds it drops off.

Everything that I have done during all of this includes turning off the water softener and placing it on bypass. The water softener recharges each morning, which seemed a little excessive to me, not to mention it was causing the water bill to be pretty high. This is a rental house, so the "plumber" we requested to take a look at it seemed to think the whole issue was in the softener, because in the 4-6 months I had it turned off, the buildup from not having the softener in service allowed it to corrode everything again. He didn't service those, so he said I'll have to get someone else out there.

If that were the case, shouldn't the pressure be low from the initial opening of any valve or faucet on the house? Should I replace the pressure reduction valve on the supply line? I'm at a loss here, and I'm really tired of having to take a shower underneath a showerhead that I'm pretty sure I can pee harder than. If you need any other info, I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Thanks for reading.
There is a screen inside the p r v it’s on the bottom there should be a brass nut.......gotta shut off the water first

Should I take the nut off and clean the screen out? Just curious, I've never messed with one before

Sounds good, I’ll give it a try. I’ll let you know Wednesday when I get back into town. Thanks!

Replaced the prv today. It didn’t have a screen cleanout bolt on the bottom. It’s a watts solid brass valve, 3/4”, it was only $55, so I replaced it. No improvement. Still does the same thing. The pressure when you open the spigot is high, then it slowly goes down. I called the city, guy just left. He asked if I changed the valve lately, told him today. He said it’s not on the city side, and he doesn’t know what it could be. Someone, please help!! 😫😫

What is the pressure at rest in the house??????
You can thread a gauge onto your outside sikot and open it to see what your pressure is when nothing is on
What are the pressure parameters on the prv

You are confusing flow rate and pressure, which often happens on here.

There is a restriction somewhere, which is causing a low flow rate.
The pressure and flow rate would both be good, on the upstream side of wherever that restriction is.

When the faucets are not bring used, pressure builds back up, even with the weak flow rate, and you briefly have a high flow rate when you first open a faucet or shower.

Pressure climbs back up to 80psi when you turn the water off. The entire house loses pressure, regardless of which spigot or faucet you use. It worked fine around 6-8 months ago, so I can’t wrap my head around a restriction between the city and my house.

Turn the water off again.

Take off the new PRV.

Rig up something to catch or divert the water from the now open ended supply pipe, just for a few minutes.
Thread a hose adapter on, or duct tape on a pvc elbow, going into a big bucket, just so water is not shooting everywhere.
Get a helper to assist with this.

Turn the water back on, all the way, but somewhat gradually.
If the flow rate stays very strong, the problem is somewhere after that point.
If it poops out, you know you have to start looking back the other way, towards the supply side.

Maybe the meter has a screen that is blocked?

Maybe the pipe in the yard is pinched or collapsed?

Maybe the city shutoff is half closed, or defective?

Maybe the city was flushing the hydrants and sent a pile of rust and crud into your valve at the street?

Latest posts

Back