Water pressure high then drops

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayley3

Reaction score
I had a new water meter base installed so I could run a water line from it to an outside barn faucet.
First thing in the morning I fill water buckets and the spray is strong and powerful and I can even fill a kiddy pool for my ducks but after I turn it off and turn it back on to use again the stream is so small I can't even spray off bird poo on my car.
Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Howdy. Noob here, so take this with a grain of salt!

I'm assuming you're saying you shut of and immediately restart and have no pressure. If not please advise. Moving on, any chance you have a pressure booster installed? If so, might it may have a off/on cycle limiter? Does pressure return after a set period that is consistent?

For that matter, does this pressure drop only present at the outside barn faucet? Rest of house is OK?

Is there a water pressure regulator anywhere that might be going wonkey?

Not much help, but who knows. Luck to you!

It's possible that when that part of the meter was installed something got stirred up in the main possibly clogging your meter before I get to far is this happening everywhere ??????

Last edited:
It's possible that when that part of the meter was installed something got stirred up in the main possibly clogging your meter before I get to far is this happening everywhere ??????
There's only one thing hooked to that water line and that's the hydrant.

I hooked up the hydrant by itself so I'd get great water pressure, to wash the car, fill up duck pools, pressure wash the house because the other hose didn't reach.
The hose on the side of the house did fine filling up the duck pool before we added the secondary water meter base even with a 100ft hose.

The obvious route is to contact the plumbers who did the recent work, and tell them it works poorly, and to come fix their poor installation.

Maybe a screen or valve is clogged, they should know to warn you about any issues that might pop up.

The obvious route is to contact the plumbers who did the recent work, and tell them it works poorly, and to come fix their poor installation.

Maybe a screen or valve is clogged, they should know to warn you about any issues that might pop up.
How could he get a clog in a water line by attaching it on each end? One to the main water line and one end to the hydrant? I just want to be more informed when I call him.

I had a new water meter base installed so I could run a water line from it to an outside barn faucet.
First thing in the morning I fill water buckets and the spray is strong and powerful and I can even fill a kiddy pool for my ducks but after I turn it off and turn it back on to use again the stream is so small I can't even spray off bird poo on my car.
Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Hi Cheryl
look at the picture, do you have something that looks like this in the meter pit with the water meter?

What I think is happening, your water pressure is spiking during the night. This happens because not as many people are using the water. they are asleep. so the pressure creeps up. A PRV [picture] it is a Pressure reducing valve, and it is supposed to maintain a set pressure. If the PRV is bad, then it could let the water in your house spike, Then when you open a faucet . you let off the high pressure. and your system reverts back to the lower pressure

Next question is WHY??
Most likely, The plumber allowed dirt to get into the pipe during installation of the meter and it has made its way into the PRV. Which has 2 rubber diaphragms and a speck of sand will cause it to act a fool

Did any of that make sense to you?
prv.jpg

Hi Cheryl
look at the picture, do you have something that looks like this in the meter pit with the water meter?

What I think is happening, your water pressure is spiking during the night. This happens because not as many people are using the water. they are asleep. so the pressure creeps up. A PRV [picture] it is a Pressure reducing valve, and it is supposed to maintain a set pressure. If the PRV is bad, then it could let the water in your house spike, Then when you open a faucet . you let off the high pressure. and your system reverts back to the lower pressure

Next question is WHY??
Most likely, The plumber allowed dirt to get into the pipe during installation of the meter and it has made its way into the PRV. Which has 2 rubber diaphragms and a speck of sand will cause it to act a fool

Did any of that make sense to you?
View attachment 26323
When it stops raining, I will take a picture to show you.

It's muddy cause we've had a lot of rain, but this is what is in the meter pit. Looks nothing like yours. 🤔

Attachments

• Water meter.JPG
    Water meter.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
ok....try this, go buy a
click here
at the hardware store, . screw the gauge on your outside hose bib, and leave it for 24 hours
this gauge will let you see the highest pressure that it read.
If you live where it might be stolen, then screw it onto the washing machine valve, behind the washer

ok....try this, go buy a
click here
at the hardware store, . screw the gauge on your outside hose bib, and leave it for 24 hours
this gauge will let you see the highest pressure that it read.
If you live where it might be stolen, then screw it onto the washing machine valve, behind the washer

Thanks!...that one is not available til after thanksgiving so I'll try to find a different one, I'm going to Home depot tomorrow.
But you mean to put it on the hose end and then turn on the hydrant, right and not the hydrant spigot? 🤔

Back