Water line size from street

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atn311

Reaction score
I had a plumber come do an estimate on my house stating the line from the street had to be replaced because it wasn’t code due to my home having two bathrooms. What is the code for this? San Antonio follows the 2018 IPC. Is this right?

Last edited:
IPC written by the ICC.

minimum is 3/4” for a home. Most homes here with two baths at 60 psi uses a 1” water service.

Is that written in the code language. I need it for my insurance
The 3/4” minimum for a home is. That doesn’t mean you need a 3/4” main. That’s just stating the smallest no matter what.

I'm not sure exactly the perameters, but it's illegal to distribute copies of the plumbing code. @Twowaxhack you just ripped the tag off your mattress bro

Call the Authority Having Jurisdiction, and ask them. Generally the ICC codes are used as templates for legally adopted local codes. And the local/county/state government all will make changes in the ICC codes before adoption. A few more stringent, and most less stringent. For example the International Residential Code, requires fire sprinkler systems. But, very few jurisdictions have adopted that section of the code. Idaho, has it’s own plumbing code, electrical code, and mechanical code. They don’t require sanitary yard hydrants, they just this year started to require Arc Fault protection in bedrooms.

I work for the Federal Government, and we by act of Congress have adopted the ICC codes in their entirety, with only a Cabinet Secretary authorized to make modification to it. So, when we put in solar power at sites in the Wilderness, we have to put the anti back feed devices in. Even though the nearest power line is forty miles away, and will never be extended through the wilderness area.

I agree with Fishscreener to call and ask.

It doesn’t matter to some jurisdictions what the code says, they enforce “ what they like “ and some of that isn’t even written anywhere. So it’s not even code.....but it is until you hire a lawyer.

Don’t get me started.......

Thanks for all your help. I paid for the work out of pocket and I’m just trying to get the insurance company to reimburse me. The plumbing did need it. House was built in 1953 but I’m not sure when the plumbing was done because I just bought it last year. But it wasn’t up to code apparently.

Latest posts

Back