Water Level Detect Sensor For Rain Barrel Using PVC

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcxboxps

Reaction score
I have a rain barrel that I need to monitor the water level with a water level switch so that I can stop my pump from pumping water if it gets too low. I've found several switches, however, I need to submerge my switch into the water to accurately detect the level, and I was thinking about using PVC (with soviet cement) to hold the switch in place as well as protect the electrical wires and run them back to my microcontroller that I will program.

I know PVC can be used for potable applications, but it seems the internet has mixed views about the long term effects of PVC contaminating water.

Was curious about what others are doing or using, and your thoughts about PVC being submerged in a rain barrel year round.

Link to the switch type:
https://www.amazon.com/Madison-M7700-Plastic-Side-Mounted-Pressure/dp/B009093LJO/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=madison+liquid+level+switch+side+mount&qid=1613171854&sr=8-5

Use a sump pump float with piggyback plug. The pump plugs into plug.

When the float drops below the level you set the pump will not operate.

Use a sump pump float with piggyback plug. The pump plugs into plug.

When the float drops below the level you set the pump will not operate.

I've looked into those, and they do work for part of the problem, however, when it comes time to being able to use the pump again after the barrel has been drained, you will have to wait until the barrel is about 1/2 or more full before the mechanical part in the float switch activate to signal there is enough water in the tank again to allow you to use the pump.

I believe they call it the differential zone, or the zone between ON & OFF.

That's why I wanted something that could be positioned at the minimum water level, and as soon as there is water at least past the minimum water level, the pump could be used again.

You need a narrow angle float switch. The water level would only need to change a few inches in the barrel.

That’s best I have without spending real $.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back