water leaks in TEXAS .....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s going to bad. This event will shape codes in the future., insurance companies will see to that...

With the problem in Texas, cold weather and copper pipes bursting i wonder would PEX-A tubing have had better results vs copper.

With the problem in Texas, cold weather and copper pipes bursting i wonder would PEX-A tubing have had better results vs copper.

Good question. Intuitively, one would "think" PEX would be a bit more forgiving. I know fellow RV owners claim it is. As I understand it, each time a copper pipe freezes it stretches the walls a little as the diameter increases so they become thinner and after so many freezes the increased hoop stresses result in failure.

I had a 3/4 inch copper pipe failure over my garage ceiling in Friendswood, TX years ago but the solder in a 90 degree elbow failed in shear and the elbow "squirted" out.....no actual ruptured pipe. Luckily I had turned the water off before vacation so when I turned it on at the meter when I returned, I heard the gushing leak and had little damage.

I sure hurt for those Texans....nobody deserves that kind of misery. About 15 years ago I retired from the warmer climes of Houston and moved to Denver....ironic.

Will be interesting to read what others have to say on the Cu vs PEX comparison.

Ed S Denver, CO

There’s no doubt that pex does way better than copper in a freeze. There’s really no comparison pex wins easily.

However I do not recommend letting pex freeze. It definitely shortens its life, especially repeated freezing combined with real world use.....

The weakest link in using Pex is the fittings. I’ve seen several non-metallic fittings freeze and bust in rare extremely frigid situations. PEX “A” is tough stuff!

The weakest link in using Pex is the fittings. I’ve seen several non-metallic fittings freeze and bust in rare extremely frigid situations. PEX “A” is tough stuff!
It’s recommended that 2 pipe diameters of pipe should be placed between fittings to allow enough pipe for expansion in a freeze.. otherwise they crack.

Latest posts

Back