Water leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yungvice

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can provide some insight. I discovered that there was a water leak behind one of my walls and when I cut out some drywall to inspect the situation I saw that there was a water leak at the union of the copper pipe with the plastic tubing (I believe it's pex). The copper and plastic tubing seem to be joined with what seems like a putty like substance. I've never seen copper pipe joined like this. It looks rather ghetto and not up to code. Is this normal? What is this joining compound and can I use it to fix the leak at the joint?

Attachments

• 20210225_191557.jpg
    20210225_191557.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210225_191601.jpg
    20210225_191601.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
That’s not pex. Those are sleeves over the copper so they don’t come in contact with the concrete footing

That’s plastic tube to protect the copper from the concrete. It’s just sleeved over the copper.

Is your leak coming up out of the plastic or down from the copper fittings ?

You might have a leak under the slab.

That’s plastic tube to protect the copper from the concrete. It’s just sleeved over the copper.

Is your leak coming up out of the plastic or down from the copper fittings ?

You might have a leak under the slab.

The water is spraying up from where the sleeve and the copper pipe meet. It's leaking through the putty or compound shown in the image. Inked20210225_191557_LI.jpg

I would carefully slice that black plastic pipe on each side of the copper pipe and peel it away.,

This will show you if the leak is below the top of the slab or on the pipe above the slab.

I’d use a sharp heavy duty razor knife and wear thick gloves. Be careful.

Are you on well water or city supply ?

I would carefully slice that black plastic pipe on each side of the copper pipe and peel it away.,

This will show you if the leak is below the top of the slab or on the pipe above the slab.

I’d use a sharp heavy duty razor knife and wear thick gloves. Be careful.

Are you on well water or city supply ?

Im on city supply.

Thanks for your help @Twowaxhack. I cut away the sleeve and unfortunately, the leak is below the slab of concrete. At this point, I'm going to be getting the professionals and insurance involved.

Latest posts

Back