Water leak issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DieHard, I do not see it as ambiguous. at all

the code states how a indirect drain is to be installed
and where it is to terminate
a T&P IS an indirect drain

clearly the code is saying the pop off runs to a floor drain and terminates with an airgap
OR
runs outsside

Typically, the water heater pan and pop off are run outside from a unit in the attic
but, can also be done on a unit that is on a outside wall

View attachment 19241
The bottom line, as far as I am concerned, it is poorly written. And if I wasn't retired, I know I could get them to clarify it in writing. I don't remember what they officially called it but we were able to pose questions and they would answer them in writing.
If it wasn't poorly written, we won't be having this discussion.:D

The bottom line, as far as I am concerned, it is poorly written. And if I wasn't retired, I know I could get them to clarify it in writing. I don't remember what they officially called it but we were able to pose questions and they would answer them in writing.
If it wasn't poorly written, we won't be having this discussion.:D

I am an old Uniform Plumbing Code plumber
That code has a LOT more detail than this Micky mouse international code
The IPC, in my opinion leaves a whole lot of info out.
and what REALLY freaked me out was in 504.6-5 it says the pop off can be terminated into the pan
WAT???? In UPC that is a huge red tag, a no no
a Gibbs slap for sure.

No attics, thank goodness, several garages. But I disagree - the way I read 504.6, all 11 criteria must be met. I see nothing in 504.6 that implies the PRV discharge criteria can be divided into to sections as you/ve done, A (1-5 1/2) or B (5 1/2-11). It says the discharge piping shall (italics mine) comply with all 11 criteria, one of which (504.6(2)) is that it must discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater. Once it's gone through the air gap, it also has to comply as described in 3-11. If you do indeed stick in the "or" as you've marked, you could discharge (after the air gap) to an attic floor, and thereby not comply with (6).

The pan drain is another issue, which may be why it's in a separate section.

Of course, what either one of us thinks matters little when the local authority having jurisdiction is having a look at our finished work.

Back