Water in the Brine Tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

home handyman45

Reaction score
This morning I looked into my GE GXSF30H and there was about 6" of water laying on top of the salt. Normally the salt area is completely dry and the salt gets used slowly to clean the ion chamber. there is also a puddle of water up top by the controls... where could this come from? I looked at the nozzle and venturi assembly and it looks clean. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I think i may see where the water is coming from. The water in and out pipes have a clip holing the connection (with a O ring inside), and somehow those clips seem to have come loose allowing the water past the O rings.

Look for salt clogging inside the tank. As a result of salt clogs, salt is unable to enter the brine tank and the water drawn from the brine tank cannot leave the brine tank either.

Last edited:
The brine tank is where the 150 lbs of dry salt is added and gets used up slowly. The Brinewell is the 4" tube with a cap that sits inside the larger brine tank. Did you mean the brinewell? There are no salt bridges if that is what you meant. I can't see to the bottom of either the brinewell or the brine tank. Can you clareify?
And just to clarify my previous post... I have 5" of water sitting on top of the brine tank.
This is where I add the salt and is normally all dry. And also, because I am seeing water by the electronics and valve assembly way on top ( just under the cover), I am thinking this is where the water is leaking down into the brine tank ( which normally should be dry). I can't see exactly where that wetness in the valve assembly is coming from but likely from an O Ring. I will have investigate further.

Last edited:
Upon further investigation, I found the piping leading to and from the water softener was installed improperly due to a manufacturing defect. I can now see the water leak. So this will just take 1 1/2 hours to take apart and fix. Thanks for help, everyone. Cheers.

Back