water in back yard

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misaac

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new house. When my washing machine drains or when flushing the toilet, water comes up in my back yard. Some of the water from the washing machine also goes into the toilet. When I am taking a shower my toilet makes a bubbling sound.

I've attached a picture since I do not know what this thing is called. I do not know why the top of this thing has been cut off. I assumed someone hit it with a mower but now I am thinking someone intentionally cut if off to allow water to be released.

Just wondering what might be wrong and what I should do to get this fixed. I appreciate any help you may have to offer.

IMG00123-20100912-1611.jpg

My guess is that you have a septic system, and that you have some type of problem with that. Could be a collapsed pipe, roots in a inlet or outlet box, or a failed leach field.

I am curious about that too... If you are on a public system, there could be serious problems between that cleanout and the street, or even in the city's pipes.

Typically, you are correct about them being knocked off with a mower, but that one looks pretty flush to the ground. Perhaps an illusion...

Water treatment plants get a HUGE influx of natural stormwater from situations just like that. Thus increasing their treatment volumes, thus increase their costs, thus increasing your costs... Just something to think about.
Btw, thanks for the careful image edit... :)

Back