Water heating element exploded?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcdonamw

Reaction score
My water heater breaker started tripping frequently and finding it was likely due to faulty thermostat and/or element, I replaced them all.

During this I found one of the elements was destroyed! There's a hole in one section and in another it looks like, what would be, a heating coil blew through the pipe.

Is this normal behavior?? 20230118_220848.jpg

Rheem and Denrid are two brands that have stainless steel elements.

If you can get the specifications, you should prefer 300 series stainless. (304, 318, 18-8, etc). Some are 400 series which will corrode. If the specs are not available, try to stick a magnet on the element. If it sticks, the element is 400 series.

I ran the skilled trades department for an NFL stadium that had several hundred electric water heaters and boilers. The plumbers always specified stainless elements so they would last longer.

The damage you show in the photo is normal. The minerals in, or pH of, the water cause de-mineralization of the calrod (outer coating). Once a small opening appears, the water gets to the nichrome wire inside the element, causing a short circuit. Since your circuit breaker tripped, it proved your heater is well grounded. (A good thing)

Hope this helps,
Paul

Might want to check your anode rod while you are at it.
I replaced that a few years back when I flushed the tank. The anode simply no longer existed. First time home owner. Had no clue these were things to consider.

Rheem and Denrid are two brands that have stainless steel elements.

If you can get the specifications, you should prefer 300 series stainless. (304, 318, 18-8, etc). Some are 400 series which will corrode. If the specs are not available, try to stick a magnet on the element. If it sticks, the element is 400 series.

I ran the skilled trades department for an NFL stadium that had several hundred electric water heaters and boilers. The plumbers always specified stainless elements so they would last longer.

The damage you show in the photo is normal. The minerals in, or pH of, the water cause de-mineralization of the calrod (outer coating). Once a small opening appears, the water gets to the nichrome wire inside the element, causing a short circuit. Since your circuit breaker tripped, it proved your heater is well grounded. (A good thing)

Hope this helps,
Paul
Yeah I figured the corrosion and such was normal but for the wire to extrude out that drastically? Would have never though that possible. Especially through that tiny crack.

They should make the heating elements out of stainless or am I incorrect in thinking that stainless would not be attacked in this manner as well?
Given their color I assumed them to be copper. The replacements are also copper, but chrome plated.

EWH-03 Electric Water Heater Tune-Up Kit with Element Wrench, Includes Upper & Lower Heater Thermostat, 2x Heater Elements - 4500W 240V (3500W@208V), 1 x Element Wrench, Water Heater Replacement Parts Amazon.com

Yeah I figured the corrosion and such was normal but for the wire to extrude out that drastically? Would have never though that possible. Especially through that tiny crack.
It’s gets a tiny hole, then the sheath fills with water and turns to steam. The steam blows a bigger hole and it throws its guts up, the wire inside that gets hot.

Back