Water heater zinc anode rods

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just info I've read ........... the 18" pedestal is required by code on GAS heaters in some jurisdictions only to insure the flame is away from any combustibles ( fumes etc )

Never heard of that in a basement, but yes in a garage..many water heaters themselves today have FVIR which means they generally don't need the height...

Copied from the site below.
Safety - This is undoubtedly the most important reason. Gas water heaters require air in order to operate. When flammable liquids, such as gasoline, are stored or spilled near a gas water heater a huge fire or explosion could occur, and since water heaters are often installed in the garage, basement, or a storage area, these situations can often go undetected until there's a problem.

After 2005, gas water heaters have been built with Flame Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR) technology. These water heaters prevent the breakout of flashback fires by trapping and burning the the hazardous vapors within the body of the heater instead of the surrounding area. They are able to do this, in part, because the combustion chamber is completely sealed.

https://www.waterheaterleakinginfo.com/water-heater-stand/

If you leave the tank almost full of water it will be heavy enough it probably won't turn. I tried to take one out years ago, I gave up. I decided I might do more damage to the tank and have to change the whole thing, i have never had one rust out. If it's not broken, don't fix it!

You'd better check your heater annually, every 5 years is a bit too long. Once the tank gets leaks or the zinc rod is worn out, you have to replace it.

Copied from the site below.
Safety - This is undoubtedly the most important reason. Gas water heaters require air in order to operate. When flammable liquids, such as gasoline, are stored or spilled near a gas water heater a huge fire or explosion could occur, and since water heaters are often installed in the garage, basement, or a storage area, these situations can often go undetected until there's a problem.

After 2005, gas water heaters have been built with Flame Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR) technology. These water heaters prevent the breakout of flashback fires by trapping and burning the the hazardous vapors within the body of the heater instead of the surrounding area. They are able to do this, in part, because the combustion chamber is completely sealed.

https://www.waterheaterleakinginfo.com/water-heater-stand/

FVIR technology was required after July 1, 2003.

I don’t know where they’re getting 2005 date from.

IT SAYS " Copied from the site below "

Yeah, and I said

“ I don’t know where they’re getting 2005 date from “

So, I still don’t know where they’re getting the 2005 date. Do you ?

I think the website is wrong.

Back