water heater shut off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

survivor1940

Reaction score
I will be going away for a few months and I need to know when the toilets are flushed after turning the main shutoff on does the water come from the water heater since the breaker for the water heater will be off also. I don't want the water heater to drain.Thanks

Who will be flushing the toilets when you are gone? I hope you are not expecting bad people to be in your house against your will.
No, it shouldn’t drain.
It will be my neighbor. I just wanted to be sure that when the toilets were flushed the water would not be coming from the water heater to refill the tanks and cause any problems since the heater breaker would be off .

I have a vacation home where I may be gone for months. I always shut off all water inside the house so I don't chance a burst water pipe. As long as there is water in the trap of the toilet, all is good. I also flip the breakers off on my electric water heater.

I have a vacation home where I may be gone for months. I always shut off all water inside the house so I don't chance a burst water pipe. As long as there is water in the trap of the toilet, all is good. I also flip the breakers off on my electric water heater.
Thanks,I am having the toilets flushed at least every two weeks and refilled just to be sure the water in the bowls don't dry out.

You might think about just laying say a 12x12" sheet of Saran Wrap on the water surface; that should cut evaporation on the bowl side to a minimum. Now if you could get some oil to fully cover the *other side* of the weir, you could probably go months without a sewer gas problem.

I usually fill the bathroom trash cans, first with a liner, then a gallon of water and a cup of Pine Sol. It keeps humidity in the bathroom and emits a nice fragrance for months, and keeps the traps wet. I shut the lids once and came back to mold in the toilet, so I leave the toilet lids open.

You might think about just laying say a 12x12" sheet of Saran Wrap on the water surface; that should cut evaporation on the bowl side to a minimum. Now if you could get some oil to fully cover the *other side* of the weir, you could probably go months without a sewer gas problem.
We cover the toilets with Saran wrap too, works well.

Latest posts

Back