Water heater power vent dislodging due to short pipe length

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daryl99

Reaction score
The PVC pipe that attaches to our water heater's power vent opening is barely able to reach the vent opening, so it dislodges sometimes. The PVC pipe can't come down any further because of a horizontal running copper pipe. What's the easiest way to fix this issue?

Also, this pipe became dislodged for about a week (someone noticed a vibration noise a week earlier, which turned out to be the PVC pipe resting on the vent opening). Yet, our carbon monoxide detectors did not detect anything. The "peak level" indicated 0. Could our detectors be defective?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
While I wait for hvac guy, can I wrap it in insulation tape? Any insights on why the carbon monoxide detectors (3 yrs old) didn't detect anything at all? Pipe was only covering half the opening when I found it, so a considerable amount of the exhaust was entering the house.

water-tank-exhasut.jpg

Sure you could wrap it. Detector doesn’t work, big time draft pulling the carbon monoxide away from detector, not much spillage.

One or a combination of all three reasons.

What I would suggest is to cut that stub of vertical pipe in half, cleanly. Get a "Fernco" rubber coupling, the kind w/o the stops in the middle. Use that at the joint. That will allow you to effectively lengthen the stub of pipe sufficiently in order to "bottom it out" in the similar style rubber reducing coupling on the top of the blower assembly. Ensure that all of the band clamps are tight.

You don't mention where your CO detector(s) are located, but as a home inspector I'll tell you that best practices indicates they should be 15-20 feet away from any gas appliance such as furnaces, fireplaces, water heaters, etc. If you have a utility area where such appliances are located, perhaps one detector in the basement utility room would suffice. If you have gas furnaces in the crawl space or attic, perhaps one 15-20 feet away from these furnaces would be useful. That spacing is to ensure that you don't get nuisance alarms. Of course, your smoke detectors should be of the dual CO/Smoke variety. Note also that modern devices generally have a 10 year lithium battery, but they also have a 10 year life. Replace them all at the 10 year mark. Never rely on one unit, just like smoke detectors. Best practices have them in each bedroom, and outside bedrooms too. My own home, a 2019 build, has a combination CO/Smoke inside the first floor primary bedroom, and one immediately outside. Upstairs, there's one in each of the bedrooms, and one in the hallway that serves all the bedrooms.

While I believe that any/all exhaust from any gas appliance can and does contain some CO, it's far more dangerous and concentrated when said appliance is suffering from incomplete combustion. So provided there's enough fresh air for complete combustion on your water heater, AND no other overt problems with the burner or installation, it's quite possible there simply wasn't sufficient concentration of CO to set off your detectors. If in doubt, throw it out and replace.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 11.57.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 11.57.42 AM.png
    545.3 KB · Views: 0
Back