Water heater not to code?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL79

Reaction score
A friend of mine is selling her trailer home and an inspector said that the water heater exhaust was unsafe. It has been ok for over 20 years, so I'm not convinced anything needs to be changed. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• PXL_20210417_173447753.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210417_173447753.MP.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 33
That water heater is missing what’s called a vent hood. Hundreds are thrown out every day when we pull water heaters to dump. Just contact a water heater replacement specialty company (or any good plumber) and ask them for one.

Also called a draft hood, vent cap, and a few other names.

It lets the hot exhaust pull some room air behind it, as it rises, to improve the draft, so it does not linger or collect in the room, and kill you.

You can find them sometimes at big box or hardware stores.

The linked one fits both three and four inch vent pipes.

A friend of mine lost his mother years ago, because her trailer water heater had a flaw in the exhaust vent.
She died from carbon monoxide poisoning, in her sleep.

Last edited:
Yes the comments here are correct it’s missing that piece. Based on the photo it looks like it may have had one and it was removed.

A water heater that’s 20 years old is way beyond it’s expected life anyway, so an inspector following protocol should have noted that as well. also water heaters for mobile homes are different than water heaters for regular dwellings... so it may be worthwhile to check if that is certified for use in a mobile home.

Thank you for the responses. I was thinking a 20 year old water heater was way beyond its life expectancy. I'll let her know about the draft hood and possibly just getting a whole new heater installed. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back