Water Heater Noise

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xorop

Reaction score

I am having a weird noise coming from what I believe to be the pipe near my water heater. I used to have this same noise all through the house any time hot water was run. I went under the house and unclamped the hot water pipe from hugging the floor joist and hung it. The noise isn’t there anymore, just here where I haven’t done it. Any recommendations to check? This is a newer water heater installed in 2015.

It sounds like a pipe expanding in length from heat, and gradually creeping through a tight clamp.

If it is from pipe movement, this chart would give someone an idea how much they could expect at different temperature changes.

On big jobs we would anchor selected points of the piping and control where the movement was allowed to take place. That way you could control the movement using selected devices.
Clipboard01.jpg

I see. Thanks guys! It’s all CPVC, so makes sense why it would be making so much noise with the expansion rate being the highest.

Back