Water heater leaking from the bottom.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDreamers

Reaction score
My water heater is leaking from the bottom and all connections are dry even the drain bib and relief valve and line though the relief valve I tried letting water out by lifting the little lever tab but no water came out so I think it's a bad relief valve.
But if I replace the relief valve does that fix the leak or did it cause a structural damage and I need to buy a hole new water heater?
If someone can help me with this question it will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220116_131358.jpg
    IMG_20220116_131358.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220116_131413.jpg
    IMG_20220116_131413.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Do you know how old the water heater is?? Did you take the covers off and make sure the elements aren't leaking. If there not then
its probably time to replace it. Sounds like the relief valve needs replaced anyway since there is no water coming out.

Do you know how old the water heater is?? Did you take the covers off and make sure the elements aren't leaking. If there not then
its probably time to replace it. Sounds like the relief valve needs replaced anyway since there is no water coming out.
Thank you for the reply.
It's about 5 to 7 years old its warranty just expired October of last year.
I did check where the elements were and it's dry there too.

How much water did you find in the pan ? Have you been using a lot of hot water ?

You could cut that white plastic collar from behind the drain valve and maybe check if it’s the drain valve where it’s screwed into the tank.

I found one leaking there a couple weeks ago. The threads were cracked.

Ok that tank has a 6 year warranty. You got the same luck as I do as the warranty runs out. Its probably leaking out
the bottom of the tank and there is no repairing of it. Try to get a WH the same height as it will be easier to install if
your doing it yourself.

Ok that tank has a 6 year warranty. You got the same luck as I do as the warranty runs out. Its probably leaking out
the bottom of the tank and there is no repairing of it. Try to get a WH the same height as it will be easier to install if
your doing it yourself.
Thanks I kind of figured I needed a new one.
The unfortunate thing is there expensive what do you recommend for good affordable water heater and where should I shop for one?

We installed Bradford White, AO Smith, Rheem, and Ruud. I have a Bradford White like you have but it is gas. If you want
you could get the model number off the tag of your WH and get the same or try something different.

Back