water heater leak.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailgunner

Reaction score
water heater just started leaking at cold water inlet just below union. Unit was installed sept . 2012. Can fitting be tightened, or is a replacement unit needed at this point?wh 1.jpgWH.jpg

If it’s not leaking out of the Union or where the union attaches to the nipple, then the tank is probably leaking and the water is pushing out of the closest opening in the jacket.

There’s a possibility the nipple could be leaking where it screws into the tank.

Outlook is not good IMO.

Yea, I was going to take it apart, but figured that would just make it worse. Plumber has been called . Thanks for the reply !

Twowax, did a recheck on the leak. Wiped around the union and WH3.jpgit was wet. Went around to the opposite side of the water heater and found this leak. Tried to tighten down the hex shaped nut ? and budged it just a tad. Still leaking. How would you proceed ?

You could Replace the Union and the nipple.
Nipple might be hard to get out.

You could install a flex supply line on that side and not use a Union and maybe leave the nipple if it’s in good enough shape.

Thanks for all the replys, I did contact a plumber to have a new WH installed , since it is over 9 years old. Any reasons out there to not get an A O Smith brand ? He also mentioned American, which is what i have now.
I see warranties of 6 years, 10 12, etc on various models. As experienced plumbers, which would be your choice ?

Last edited:
My plumber told me the only difference between the actual 6, 10 and 12 year warrantied units is the cost (which is the cost of the warranty as the thing gets older). He told me to buy the 6 year warranty because it is the same exact unit. And take this with a grain of salt because I am not an experience plumber but only experienced in making the mistake of buying the most expensive unit available.

As BlueSkyHigh mentions .... I was informed by a fellow that attended a Rheem instruction seminar as a "seller" and he stated the same information.

I feel AO Smith is a decent brand. Personally I like Bradford White. Some don't, but this is what I have and what
we install for years.

Interesting and it begs a question I have always had regarding water heater and sacrificial anode rods. I remember an old water heater sold by Sears (A.O. Smith rebrand maybe). It was touted as a "glass lined" tank. My assumption was that the inside of the tank was somehow coated with a layer of glass preventing water from actually coming into contact with the bare steel tank itself and would, possibly, mitigate the need for an anode rod.

A misunderstanding of the use of the phrase "glass lined" on my part, marketing hype only or both?

AFAIK, all tank-style water heaters have a glass lining. Possible exception to that are some newer hybrid models or some small point of use models with stainless steel tanks.
But conventional gas+electric, 30-75 gallon models? Glass lined.

I suspected as much. Would a completely stainless steel tank be available or out of the question cost-wise or do they simply not make them because water heater manufacturers need a continuous supply of repeat customers?

I suspected as much. Would a completely stainless steel tank be available or out of the question cost-wise or do they simply not make them because water heater manufacturers need a continuous supply of repeat customers?
Stainless tanks are available.

Yes, they want tanks to last until they’re out of warranty. Then they want you to buy another one.

If you pay to maintain a tank then you’ll be spending a few hundred a year and that’s not cost effective. It’s a catch 22 unless you do it yourself and don’t place a very high value on your time.

Latest posts

Back