Quantcast

Water Heater fixed its own leak.

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

Jseeley2003

Reaction score
3 weeks ago my hot water heater was leaking turned off the water and gas and drained it. Unfortunately it leaked out over 8 gallons and ruined my hardwood floor. So my insurance company finally has American leak detection come out 3 weeks later and not a drop...no leak. So i turned on the gas and we heated it up...still no leak.

Is this possible??...u can see several rusty water lines on the inside of the tank were a steam was running.

Is it fixed or a ticking time bomb.?

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
Just like taking your car to the mechanic for a funny noise, which of course stops while you are there.
Then returns as you pull into your driveway.

Jseeley2003

Reaction score
This was the last process to have American Leak Detection come out to check it. 3 weeks after it happened. This might be a fight to get the floors fixed. Even the leak guy said he could tell it leaked. We shall see.

Riickk

Reaction score
I used to do some inspections about leak damage for a national water-cooler company.
Insurance compny will pay for the damage, but probably an inadequate amount.
They'll say, well a 4'x7' area was damaged, and at $29.43/sq.ft, we will pay $XXX
for new flooring, repairing the damage. ...Ignoring fact that the new flooring will not match the old.

Hold out for "Make me whole" - as in floor in same state as it was before the flood.
So, given everything matched, you want the same when it's all finished.
(( Sand and refinish new & old wood floor so it all matches ))

HTH

Mitchell-DIY-Guy

Reaction score
Do you have a drip pan under the heater? If not, I would get one.
At minimum! [drip pan, tied to drain]

A water heater in a finished space near a hardwood floor is a ticking time bomb. So is a water heater in an attic. Jeez, put the darn thing in the basement or garage where WHEN it leaks, it's not going to cause much damage.