Water heater advice...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Force majeure is a French term literally translated as "greater force", this clause is included in contracts to remove liability for natural and unavoidable catastrophes that interrupt the expected course of events and restrict participants from fulfilling obligations.

in other words, an act of God, is not covered, storm,flood,tornado stuff like dat...i could be totally wrong,,seek a lawyers opinion

Force majeure is a French term literally translated as "greater force", this clause is included in contracts to remove liability for natural and unavoidable catastrophes that interrupt the expected course of events and restrict participants from fulfilling obligations.

in other words, an act of God, is not covered, storm,flood,tornado stuff like dat...i could be totally wrong,,seek a lawyers opinion

...hmmph...

Sounds like the grounds for divorce my first wife filed... :eek:

...and I am still paying that lawyers fee so I will have to take your explanation... :cool:

Direct vent can't normally be in a chimney. Typically they vent separately with a special two pipe system. They are overly expensive IMHO

Power vent has two PVC pipes that must be vented to exterior of home in proper location. Also pricey

Standard vent may be able to use your existing chimney. Price is still reasonable but 50 gallon is as big as you can get now.

Tankless will need two vents like powervent typically although other styled are available. Properly sized two showers shouldn't be an issue, and you can take them back to back forever. You will most likely need to upgrade to a 3/4 gas line directly to heater and ensure proper gas meter/piping sizing throughout house. You also will have to understand and expect cold water sandwiches with most tankless systems.

You'll notice houses in your area with two PVC (white) pipes protruding through the side of an exterior wall. One turned up and one is turned down.

I think in the future, it is better to buy a tankless water heater with good customer service and comes with regular maintenance from their technician. It is important to understand what is included when buying the tankless water heater package. For those of you out there who needs to get a tankless water heater, check this article out as it covers all the information needed.

Forgive me, I haven't read all the thread yet, not sure if anyone has mentioned the way tankless will reportedly sometimes not kick on from low flow usage, such as shaving and wanting to clean the shaver as you go. My studied take is that one of the only reasons that tankless could be preferable would be in cases where space is very limited, or in a large house with a bathtub or shower a long ways away from the tanked water heater. Having a tankless at that location could make baths a lot easier. An expensive luxury perhaps but waiting for a long time for hot water in a remote corner of the house can be a pain.

There is a new concept of reducing wasted cold water for the cold “water sandwhich” that someone mentioned with tankless. Because tankless heat up instantly, at the appliance all the water in the lines comes out cold. The device that is now being used takes that cold wastes water that would be going down the drain and circulates it back through the tankless. It works on a timer system and kinda like a power circulator pump. There is a good demo of this on the last couple episodes of Ask This Old House.

With extreme temp climates I don’t think tankless is a great option. I know someone in Co area that has one tankless for radiant floor and another one for water, plus uses
a storage tank for the heated water, so essentially the tankless just feeds hot water into the storage. Also if you have hardwater or don’t have soft water system, I hear these tankless need maintainance and calcium cleaning which in my friends case had to get a new one after 4 years at $5k each. (Install and everything)

I’d stick with a basic atmospheric water heater. They are cheap, easy to replace, they aren’t as efficient as some other types, aren’t loud, and you can get 2 if your worried about capacity. I have a new AO Smith, 50 gal and supports household of 5. 90 min full tank recovery time on first use. Fairly efficient model.

Also one think you might want to consider is natural gas cost vs electrical.

Latest posts

Back