Water Hammer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie21

Reaction score
Good Morning,

Need help with a water hammer issue. A few months ago, I installed an LG Front Loading washing machine. When we ran it for the first time, we noticed our pipes making a banging noise when the water went into the machine. This had never happened before. To try and correct the issue we installed water arrestors on the washing machine. This significantly lessened the banging of he pipes, however you can still faint banging noises from the pipes when the water goes into the washing machine. The other day, we installed a water line for a new refrigerator. We had never had a water line before. Its seems to working fine. However, when I ran the washing machine, I could here noise coming from the refrigerator when the washing machine valve would close. Looking for any suggestions on how to solve this issue.

They make hammer arrestors for dishwashers, refrigerators, The solenoid valves are what cause the water hammer because the open and close so fast

Last edited:
Thank you. I installed them at them at the washing machine. The noise in the refrigerator only happens when the valve at the washer machine opens and closes.

You could try partially closing both the hot and cold valves at the washer.

That way, the water in your pipes will be moving slower, when it slams to a sudden stop when the washer valves close.

Yes, it will take a little longer for a wash cycle, but this might be your answer.

The noise at the fridge might be from the new water line banging against the wall or the back of the fridge.

It might just need some foam or bubble wrap taped to it, here and there where it makes contact.

If the new water line is installed behind the wall, it might need some pads or spacers in the basement or crawlspace, where the line is resting on something else like pipes or conduits.

Latest posts

Back