Water Hammer Solution

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gpag

Reaction score
There is one toilet in my house that causes severe water hammer when it fishes filling. It is the last fixture on the line. The toilet before it has a slight bit of hammer, more of a tick than a bang. I am making sure the pipes are properly supported and am also installing a water hammer arrestor. I just picked up a Watts mini arrestor that I plan on installing on the cold water line before the first toilet on the line. Would that help the loud banging on the second toilet or should the be arrestor be installed closer to that second toilet?

I assume that the air in the arrestor eventually gets absorbed, requiring replacement of the arrestor. How long does this arrestor last? I’m considering returning it and purchasing one of the Watts arrestors that are rechargeable.
Thanks

It's probably the toilets flush valve that's causing the noise.
Those things are like $15 +/-.
Just replace it.

EDIT: Just reread your post. Are getting the noise from one or two toilets?

BTW...The air in those arrestors is separated from the water with a sealed piston. So shouldn't be subject getting absorbed until it gets worn out a bit.
You should ask Watts the question on longevity.

In general, arrestors should be install close to the source of the offending cause, which is typically the sudden closing or opening of a flow stream.

Back