Water hammer on hot side of shower, water not very hot

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy griffin

Reaction score
Hello, let me start from the begging. This house up stairs shower the person that owned the house before me ran the water lines and got them crossed. Well I fixed that but on the hot side was getting water hammer and the hot was not getting very hot. So I took it apart to move the ring to allow more hot water to flow and broke the tip the handle attaches too. Bought a new valve assembly and installed with out the ring at all so I could have as much hot water as I wanted. With the handle turned all the way to the hot side the water is warm at best. I checked at the bathroom sink and the water is very hot. To get rid of the water hammer I put a new head on the shower, one of those energy efficient ones. I took the head back off and ran the hot water and was getting water hammer again of course and the water was not warm at all. It almost felt cold. Could the valve body its self be bad? The valve cartridge was 30 bucks. I am at a loss and need some guidance thanks.

What brand shower faucet ? Can you post a picture of it ?

I could but it does not have a name on it. there is like a little shield on the bottom with 3 letters in it. I am thinking about just replacing the entire valve body and all today. I just am wondering now if it will fix the problem or not?

I could but it does not have a name on it. there is like a little shield on the bottom with 3 letters in it. I am thinking about just replacing the entire valve body and all today. I just am wondering now if it will fix the problem or not?

I can’t help you, I’m sorry.

I am worried because its going to be a lot of work taking the entire valve out and putting a new one in. I am worried it will not fix the issue. Hate to go threw all the steps and no joy. With the shower head off and the valve turned all the way to hot if the valve body was good then I should be getting hot water right? It has a new cartridge in.

Can you isolate the valve take the cartridge out turn the hot side on ( with someone at a valve,and someone at the shower) I think you can fix the valve , but if you have pics or have someone take pics it's alot easier someone here may have seen the valve or a plumbing supply house may know the valve,while you have the cartridge out check all openings in the valve for debris use a wet vac on the openings
To clean out anything close to the openings

Latest posts

Back