water hammer at washing machine only...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k5ranger

Reaction score
the only time we hear the bang is when the washing machine is used. can i simply put an AA arrester there to quit the pipes? also my water pressure i 55 psi, is that ok? The local hardware owner said it is to high but researching on the web shows that it is a safe medium. I replaced the pressure regulator under the house about 7-8 years ago. the home is around 30 years old.
thanks

Yes, adding arrestors at the washing machine SHOULD solve the problem. If a pipe is loose and is located next to something that it can knock against, it might be possible for it to still make noise, but in most cases, installing shock arrestors at the problem fixtures will solve the problem.

There are arrestors available that thread directly onto the washing machine water supply valves, and then you attach the hose to the arrestors. This is an easy project that almost anyone can do.

thanks...i purchased two AA arresters and installed them to the washing machine. easy fix..noise gone.
but i still wonder why the banging only started recently..no plumbing upgrades made in atleast three years. is there something else i should look for? will i need to put one on my dishwasher soon?

Sometime the neoprene washer in the supply valves get swollen or loose and contribute to the hammer when the auto washer solenoid valves slams shut.
If you don't have the newer 1/4 turn type stop valves then maybe you should consider replacing.

the only time we hear the bang is when the washing machine is used. can i simply put an AA arrester there to quit the pipes? also my water pressure i 55 psi, is that ok? The local hardware owner said it is to high but researching on the web shows that it is a safe medium. I replaced the pressure regulator under the house about 7-8 years ago. the home is around 30 years old.
thanks

I think an ‘AA’ WHA might be 1 size smaller than the recommended min size of ‘A’ for the W/M according to PDI Standard WH-201.

AA was the only size they carried at my local hardware store...Lowes. i Don't recal the manufacturers name, but the package was marked for w/m installation and the prefered location was directly to the w/m outlets.
$22 for two arresters and the noise is gone. :)

Latest posts

Back