Water gushing out from under sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjornkri

Reaction score
First time poster, and I'm completely missing the vocabulary for this, but here goes.
View attachment ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1421088499.590968.jpg

On this photo you see two pipes coming in from above (sink) and one from the left (dishwasher). Where the water goes in from the dishwasher can be seen here:
View attachment ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1421088653.711890.jpg
You might also see the problem: sometimes water comes gushing out of that pipe. Both when running the dishwasher as well as when using the sink. Doesn't happen every time, and we never had any problems at all until recently.

Anything obvious I could do to try to fix this, or should I call a plumber?

Thanks!

Was afraid so. I actually paid someone to do this, what a mess.

You mean to tell me that is a drain line? Hell, I thought I was looking at some musical instrument with that drain manifold.

You mean to tell me that is a drain line? Hell, I thought I was looking at some musical instrument with that drain manifold.

looks like a monkey was under there with a bucket full of fittings

You PAID someone to do that????? did he kiss you first or just send it home dry??

images (2).jpg

Last edited:
Leaving the really odd looking piping arrangement out of it, the fact that it overflows, but didn't in the past, points to a partial clog in the drain line somewhere.

That manifold appears to be store bought. Is it actually for drainage? I've never saw anything like it.

And I'm not asking so I can buy one....I'm just curious

Don't know where they got it from, suppose it must be from the DIY store around the corner... I'm in Belgium, maybe this is just the way they do things here. I'm not from here so I don't know :)

what is that? i apologise for laughing, it is not my country, there ways might be different to me, mine are just as different to them

i am glad to see, that junk under your sink looks just like the junk under mine :)

ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1421088499.590968.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like an air valve.

The reason its overflowing because you have a vacuum problem (Venting problem) and/or there is not enough capacity for the water (Pipe too small) somewhere.

normally you would have the dishwasher drain feeding into the sink drain and not on a separate drain like you have. All that needs to be torn out and re-done the right way.

or you have clog if its been working and now its not.

Do you have double sinks or just one tub? Get a garbage disposal and it has a spot where the dishwasher will tie into it.

Back