water gushing from toilet?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sallyinnyc

Reaction score
A few days ago my roommate flushed the toilet in our apartment, and water started gushing out. It was hard to tell where the water was coming from (the base? the tank?), but it definitely wasn't the bowl overflowing. By the time we got the water off, half the apartment was flooded.

I notified the super, who said that the toilet was just clogged. He plunged it and flushed it and it was fine! Now the toilet works okay, except there's a new high-pitched whistling sound every time I flush. (I can hear the same sound when the next-door neighbors flush too.)

I am interested to know what could have caused our problem, but mostly I want to know whether or not this issue warrants further attention. Is it likely to happen again? Should I be worried?

You mention the apartment flooding before you got the water off. While a clogged and overflowing toilet will continue overflow somewhat until the fill valve refills the tank and shuts off, it shouldn't be enough to cause a major flood. Something doesn't make sense.

Thanks for your response. I agree that it doesn't make sense! I will admit that it took us a few minutes to figure out how to turn the water off, but it was still much more water than I would have expected from a clogged/overflowing toilet.

It's 100% possible that our super was lying to us about the "clog," but regardless I wonder how could this have resolved so quickly and spontaneously?

Latest posts

Back