Water / Gas LONG RUNS

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my neighbors had to reroute the gas line to his house where the meter was. A plumber told him to contact the utility. Two of their guys with their work truck and a small trencher used for laying gas pipe came to his house. They cut the old line at the street and at the meter, trenched, and laid new line (yellow plastic), connected the ends and were done in less that two hours. They didn't waste any time and told my neighbor they have done this many times. It certainly pays to get some pros to do special work like this. They have the tools, all the necessary fittings, and experience. It would have a DIYer several days to do that.

One of my neighbors had to reroute the gas line to his house where the meter was. A plumber told him to contact the utility. Two of their guys with their work truck and a small trencher used for laying gas pipe came to his house. They cut the old line at the street and at the meter, trenched, and laid new line (yellow plastic), connected the ends and were done in less that two hours. They didn't waste any time and told my neighbor they have done this many times. It certainly pays to get some pros to do special work like this. They have the tools, all the necessary fittings, and experience. It would have a DIYer several days to do that.
Those guys may not even had a license, if you work as an employee for a utility company you’re not required to take license tests. They go through a training course that the employer gives. If they were private contractors then one of them must hold a license.

But they were insured…….

I routinely find the pipe they lay too shallow.

Those guys may not even had a license, if you work as an employee for a utility company you’re not required to take license tests. They go through a training course that the employer gives. If they were private contractors then one of them must hold a license.

But they were insured…….

I routinely find the pipe they lay too shallow.
Maybe I was not clear enough in my comment. The two guys were employees of the utility company. Their work truck and the trencher belonged to the utility company. The utility company billed my neighbor for the job. The utility company is quite large and provides natural gas to hundreds of villages, cities , and towns in several counties. I would imagine that they know what they are doing.

Maybe I was not clear enough in my comment. The two guys were employees of the utility company. Their work truck and the trencher belonged to the utility company. The utility company billed my neighbor for the job. The utility company is quite large and provides natural gas to hundreds of villages, cities , and towns in several counties. I would imagine that they know what they are doing.
You’d think they know what they’re doing but they still do not hold a trade license. They’re not required to.

Latest posts

Back