Water damage. Please help me.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themavinator

Reaction score
Hello there.

3 days ago, I found that the carpet right next to the ensuite bathroom was damp wet.

I did not use water for a while and checked the water meter. The water meter did not move. I think it means no water leaks.

After shower, I checked the carpet and it seemed not getting wet. So I think waterproof it ok.

What I guess is...
That night we had some rains. And next day rain stoppes. When it rains the carpet gets wet(damp). When the rains stops, the carpet gets being dried.
So I am worrying that there might have some cracks or damage on the footing??

I feel like water is smearing to the carpet from the floor.

My house is 5yrs old so I contacted the builder but the warranty has expired. I called insurance and they cover the damage only (such as carpet).

Can anyone please help me what I can do?
Whom do I need to contact? Plumber? Renovation company? Anyone else?

Can plumber fix this type of problem? ( If not related to the pipes, water leak... the footing might have some problem or waterpoof seals need to be done??)

Hello there.

3 days ago, I found that the carpet right next to the ensuite bathroom was damp wet.

I did not use water for a while and checked the water meter. The water meter did not move. I think it means no water leaks.

After shower, I checked the carpet and it seemed not getting wet. So I think waterproof it ok.

What I guess is...
That night we had some rains. And next day rain stoppes. When it rains the carpet gets wet(damp). When the rains stops, the carpet gets being dried.
So I am worrying that there might have some cracks or damage on the footing??

I feel like water is smearing to the carpet from the floor.

My house is 5yrs old so I contacted the builder but the warranty has expired. I called insurance and they cover the damage only (such as carpet).

Can anyone please help me what I can do?
Whom do I need to contact? Plumber? Renovation company? Anyone else?

Can plumber fix this type of problem? ( If not related to the pipes, water leak... the footing might have some problem or waterpoof seals need to be done??)
I have no idea what to do. I have asked friends and neighbors but got no answers. Thank you.

Check outside next to the house. Look for the grading to see if it is sloping away from the house. Do you have storm drains underground or just rain leaders?

I also suspect the vent through the roof. They typically seal with a flashing that has a rubber seal that fails over time from exposure to the elements. 5 years is pretty quick but new home builders cut costs by using cheaper products. Good news is they make plastic covers that can be placed over the stack to eliminate leaks

Back