Water damage near toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to go with a wax ring since the red one wouldn't fit flush around the bolts. Put it back together. Smoothed out and cleaned up the grout with a dremel which also removed the sealant. Left a gap around the toilet where it meets the tile so moisture can come out of necssary. Flushed it about 5 times so far and no signs of water. Took pictures of the cabinet to monitor and make sure it doesn't get worse. Thanks again for the help.

Might try to tackle my other toilet that wobbles now! (Well... I might give it a week first just to make sure there isn't an issue with this one!

Well I think I spoke too soon. There is a little bit of moisture behind the very back of the toilet The wax ring is the normal size, but maybe it wasn't tall enough with the flange sitting a little below the floor. Since the red one didn't sit flush, due to the bolts, I am going to try the "fluidmaster better than was" seal. as it goes on the top on the bolts and not directly over them. (this is the blue seal. This time should go a lot faster after having done it once before!

Check your bolts that fasten the tank to the bowl and make sure you have no leaks. Also check your
supply line going to the fill valve. Check these things before you pull the toilet.

Tom is right, the tank bolts often drip after being abused by lifting the toilet.
The washers inside the tank get brittle.

And the tank to bowl gasket can leak, and also either end of the supply line from the shutoff valve.

Thanks for the suggestions on waiting guys. I tightened everything up and the toilet has been used numerous times per day. No signs of leaking. Maybe something was leaking or maybe some water tipped out when I was putting the toilet back down. I'll keep an eye on it from time to time to see how it's doing. Thanks again!

Back