Water backing up through downstairs sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helpme2323

Reaction score
Please help!

We own a house that was built in 1964. A lot of the plumbing pipes are original metal pipes, and I believe narrower than is code today.

Anyhow, we have been having a recurrent issue where if the upstairs bath-tub is drained, nasty water starts backing up out of the downstairs sink.

We have had someone come out and "roto-rooter" the drain several times. Each time he charges roughly $80, for 5-10 minutes.

Everything works for a month or two, then the problem starts again. If you don't realize it is happening we get massive flooding, which is a real problem.

The most recent time I rented an electric drain snake myself. It was successful, and now the problem is again occurring.

(We have called a local plumber, and he said to call the "roto-rooter guy" and that he wasn't needed for the issue.

Why is this happening? Do the pipes need to be replaced? Is our septic broken (although when they pump it - they claim it is in fine shape). Any ideas or suggestions.

You need to hire a reputable , professional drain cleaning co, if they are in and out that quickly they aren't thorough, use another co that has a camera available that way you can see the inside of the drain

Like Geofd said, get someone with a camera. Also once the problem is discovered get a few quotes to fix the issue. Some companies may tell you to tear everything out and replace when it is not necessary.

Back