Washing Machine Water Coming Up in Kitchen Sink Help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSeazz

Reaction score
I keep getting different answers - some plumbers think the washing machine hookup is bad and another one doesn't know what the issue is. We inherited this home and the old washing machine. When it comes up in the sink it goes back down when the water is let out. No other plumbing issues in house or water bubbling elsewhere when this happens. Only in kitchen. Plumber also tried to snake, no issues found. Washing machines does not have a studor vent. I do not have a cleanout. House built in 1974. Any help appreciated! For now we can only do small loads at a time.

if I can show anything else that can help answer pls let me know

View attachment IMG_0064 2.MOV

If the washing machine is backing up into the sink, then there is a clog or partial clog, some place where those two drain lines meet up, maybe a tee or wye, or in the common drain line they both drain into, before that line enters the main drain stack.

Is there a basement, crawlspace, are you on a slab?
Septic, city sewer?
Ranch house, multi-story?
Much more info needed.

I am in a ranch house in Central Florida. City sewer. Not sure where they can get to a pipe. Dishwasher in the kitchen is fine doesn't back up at all.

If the washing machine is backing up into the sink, then there is a clog or partial clog, some place where those two drain lines meet up, maybe a tee or wye, or in the common drain line they both drain into, before that line enters the main drain stack.

plumber who came said no clog because everything else is running fine even kitchen dishwasher

We in the industry call that a kitchen sink/laundry drain stoppage. Have it snaked by a real plumber.

Your plumber is an idiot.
There is a partial blockage, which drains slowly.
Dishwasher drainage is not “fine”, it is just not filling up the drains like the washing machine discharge is.
Listen to twowax and Rickyman, or ignore good advice. as you see fit.

We in the industry call that a kitchen sink/laundry drain stoppage. Have it snaked by a real plumber.

What should he snake? The kitchen sink or the washing machine pump? I attached a photo. He did a few months ago. He snaked the white valve where the pump is in the photo and poured down some liquid. Problem came back. Overflowing in kitchen AND washing machine valve. See photos below from the garage where the machine is at.1B2A45DD-0119-4412-9764-BAB768AB6FB4.jpeg44469411-1190-4DAD-9BC0-FDCF7E7FBEFB.jpeg

I’d go down the roof vent if the roof allowed me to walk on it.

What should he snake? The kitchen sink or the washing machine pump? I attached a photo. He did a few months ago. He snaked the white valve where the pump is in the photo and poured down some liquid. Problem came back. Overflowing in kitchen AND washing machine valve. See photos below from the garage where the machine is at.View attachment 31087View attachment 31088
I’d run the snake from the kitchen, the blockage is past where both lines tie into each other so you can run it from either location. But looking at your laundry standpipe there’s not really a good option of running a cable from there.

OMG this sounds like a lot. Can I use pour some Hair & Grease or Drain Defense down the kitchen? I tried a little for a few days did nothing. Wondering if I should pour more and give that a big go before contacting the plumber? If its a block it should dissolve right?

Where does the washer stand pipe go when it goes into the floor. Is there a trap below the floor

Im not sure. I know that I dont have a cleanout. Not sure if its the same thing. So lets say there is a trap does that mean he has to open the floor?

Latest posts

Back