Washing machine drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregpet

Reaction score
I remodeled our master bathroom and used the shower drain to make a drain for a washing machine. It has the proper p-trap, vent, heights, and pipe sizes. It is virtually the same distance for where the shower drain attached. I installed the pipes and filled with water. Throughout the rest of finishing the walls, tiling etc. I never heard another drain flush.

I installed the washer and it runs and drains fine, except after the washer runs if you flush the toilet, use the sink, or use the other bathroom that backs up to this one you hear water draining.

I filled the p-trap to test my theory and ran all the other fixtures. No noise. I suspect the washer is draining so fast that it flushes and empties the p-trap. That is why you hear noises. The washer hose goes all the way down to the p-trap and is wet if you pull it up. Is that too long?

Any ideas how to fix this?

there is a maximum distance between the drain and the p-trap of 30 inches . if it is too far you will suck out your trap.

Usually 30” is the minimum. 48” max.

I suggest the OP clean the drain with a drain cable then check to see if the problem remains.

Yes, the hose is pushed into the drain too far. It shouldn’t extend down past the water level in the machine when it’s full.

The height of the standpipe can be 48", but then the trap has to be higher. You can't have a 48" standpipe. Bill is right.

Back