Washing Machine Drain Pipe Broken

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmer

Reaction score
The drain pipe on my washing machine broke off. Here is a photo of it. I am holding it in the air to show where it severed
drainBroken.jpg

This is the back of the machine. The drain comes out of the top.
drainMachine.jpg

Can I just put the drain directly into the floor where the drain pipe broke off as in the photo below? Whats the best remedy here other than tearing up the concrete and replacing the broken off pipe which I'm sure will cost a lot to have done. Thanks for any advice.
drainFloor.jpg

Was it just a couple elbows? No p-trap? No vent?

It would be worth having that line checked out by a plumber with a camera to know what it was for/how it's plumbed. Doesn't look like something you can just drain into now. Likely would be a lot of work to break that open if you'd want to use it for a drain that's up to code.

In the meantime, it'd be better if you can drain into a nearby laundry sink (if you have one).

Galvanized nipple gave up the ghost.
Replace with 1-1/2" PVC male adapter and go from there?

Here is an image of the entire drain assembly that was there previously.
drainpipe.jpg
The washer hose was sitting in the top. That section of PVC coming out at an angle at the bottom has a cap on it.

Galvanized nipple gave up the ghost.
Replace with 1-1/2" PVC male adapter and go from there?
Would the male adapter just be a piece of 1-1/2" PVC pipe inserted into the steel drain hole?

if you look into the hole were the drain hose is , is there standing water. can you vac it out to see if the trap is buried???
No there is no standing water. The pipe goes down below the basement floor about 2 inches then turns sharply out of sight and finger range.

No there is no standing water. The pipe goes down below the basement floor about 2 inches then turns sharply out of sight and finger range.
i think you need to consider another route,if the pipe is in that condition its no better under ground, have you considered or is it possible to pump the drain????? i have done this many times, it gives you the option of a new laundry sink and stand pipe, yes its more work but if its possible its not a bad option

Sorry about my ignorance but do you mean put a pump on the outflow of the washer and pipe it over to the room where the sink is?

Sorry about my ignorance but do you mean put a pump on the outflow of the washer and pipe it over to the room where the sink is?

would you consider using a laundry pump, you could install a laundry sink as long as there is a drain and vent in that area if the pipe rotted off the pipe in the ground is the same

You could also extend the discharge hose of the washing machine and run it to another room, such as to a laundry sink. I did that with my washing machine using black water pipe running up and around a room in a chase to a stand pipe in the utility closet. I put an inline check valve at the washer end to keep the water in the hose from draining back into the washer. The piping runs about 25 ft.

You could also extend the discharge hose of the washing machine and run it to another room, such as to a laundry sink. I did that with my washing machine using black water pipe running up and around a room in a chase to a stand pipe in the utility closet. I put an inline check valve at the washer end to keep the water in the hose from draining back into the washer. The piping runs about 25 ft.
Thanks, good to know. I guess it depends on how strong the pump on the machine is. I'll check this out.

Can you take a close picture of the broken pipe in the floor. Is it glued in or was it screwed in with an adapter.

Can you take a close picture of the broken pipe in the floor. Is it glued in or was it screwed in with an adapter.
Here is a photo of the bottom of the pipe and the floor. You can see that the threaded pipe just came out of the floor where it attached to ABS. I'm considering using a smaller 1-1/4 pipe to fit into the pipe in the floor and seal it.
pipebottom.jpg

pipeFloor.jpg

Latest posts

Back