Washing machine banging.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B16bri

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have an issue at the house. Every time we run the washing machine and hot water is introduced we get a banging from the pipes. We have tried to alleviate this issue but nothing seems to work. We had a plumber come He installed arrestors before the hoses right after the shut offs. We also installed an expansion tank on the hot water heater. Nothing seems to work we still get noises from the pipes. We herd installing arrestors on the back of the washing machine could fix the problem. Is this true? And do you remove the ones on the shut offs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Usually the aerators take care of the problem,usually install the right on the hot/cold valves feeding the machine, has this
Been an issue all the time or is it's something new,what is the water pressure in your house,
I could be that you need a pressure regulating valve, to drop the pressure, get a gauge and thread it on your outside spikot then open it,
That will be your pressure at rest, the turn on a fixture or 2 to see the pressure drop, you could also run your machine and watch the that's just what I would start off doing

The arrestors should be on the piping in not sure by your description where EXACTLY they are. A picture could help. Also these arrestors can be finicky. Once had to go back to the store three times to get a set that weren't defective. Beyond that Geofd is right. Check your houses static pressure get a gauge that will screw into hose threads check your pressure, you may need a prv. If you have a closed hot water system your expansion tank could be water logged.

Back