Washing machine and utility sink?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspahn

Reaction score
I have a washing machine that drains into a utility sink. The sink is always a problem, and I’d like to get rid of it. Can I just run a pipe up the wall and attach the washing machine hose to it or do I need more parts? If so what do I need?

Washing machine standpipe is the concept of what you are describing.
Internationally accepted standard for such is:
2" Drain, then a 2"x 1-1/2 x 2 tee with the vent being the 1-1/2" portion, which is likely there already.
A 2" p-trap from the 2" inlet branch is (off the top of my head "not less than 6" nor greater than 16" off the floor" and then min 24' and max 30" vertical "standpipe" coming out of the p-trap.

If your drain in that spot is only 1-1/2", then if you only add a too-small standpipe (1-1/2") you run the risk of overwhelming the flow capacity and that is why a laundry sink is nice, because it can act as a flow absorber for small old drains.
In a pinch I have seen people add a 2" p-trap and standpipe to a 1-1/2" copper drain line, and because copper flows so well, that customer reports it has worked.

These replies are so helpful- I appreciate the help! So assuming I cannot use the sink plumbing, I would need to cut into the 4” and put a 2” tee. Then cut a hole in the floor above the tee, connect a 2” pvc so that it comes in about 36” off the floor, and put in some sort of tee Perhaps a 135 degree, with the bottom being a 2” to fit the top of the pipe, the angled branch angled downward and connected to the washing machine and the top of the tee 1-1/2” that pipes up and out of the Ceiling / roof (about an 8’ run from there) and cut a hole in the roof where I install the vent for the 1-1/2 pipe- obviously I might spend some time at the local store finding adapters to accomplish this. Since I have the supply lines that have been working for years, I don’t need an arrest or or anything on the drain or vent, right? Sounds like a ton more work than I want to do but it would fix it right. The house is incredibly old, so projects like this always have added dimensions of misery... let me know if I need to add anything to my process here. Thanks again- we appreciate your help!

Too hard to picture what you are describing, but nothing 135 degree, and nothing 36 off floor.
There are others less grumpy and more patient on this site, if you are lucky.
Pictures and sketches and all the particulars such are very helpful. But really, a plumber will be well worth it.

I have a washing machine that drains into a utility sink. The sink is always a problem, and I’d like to get rid of it. Can I just run a pipe up the wall and attach the washing machine hose to it or do I need more parts? If so what do I need?
You didnt say what the problem is with the sink. Is it that it constantly gets clogged with all the lint coming from the washer? If thats all it is they make a strainer you attach to the end of the hose (see link) or my mom always cut the feet off her old nylons and attaached them with rubber bands.
https://www.amazon.com/Washing-Machine-Premium-Rustproof-Stainless/dp/B01ITKX9TG

Is your utility sink an old "soapstone" double tub type sink??

Back