washer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowggy

Reaction score
My son has a washer upstairs in his house. His wife complains that there is always a bad smell from the room. The washer has a drain line at the bottom that the manufacturer suggests they empty periodically and when she does it smells bad. The drain from the washer goes up at the back and in a U shape drain line goes into the black pipe that is then connected to the drain above the trap under the sink. The washer drain pipe is open and not connected by a fitting and just sits into the black drain line that goes under the sink.
Does this need to be plumbed differently to solve this smell problem.

My son has a washer upstairs in his house. His wife complains that there is always a bad smell from the room. The washer has a drain line at the bottom that the manufacturer suggests they empty periodically and when she does it smells bad. The drain from the washer goes up at the back and in a U shape drain line goes into the black pipe that is then connected to the drain above the trap under the sink. The washer drain pipe is open and not connected by a fitting and just sits into the black drain line that goes under the sink.
Does this need to be plumbed differently to solve this smell problem.

No one has any ideas here to help out a non plumber.

If it’s a front loader machine, it’s probably the machine. I heard they stink

If there’s a floor drain in the room it might have dried out. Pour a quart of water into the floor drain.

We have a front loader and we have no problems with it. There is no floor drain, it is upstairs and goes right into the sink drain above the trap. I think it is something else, something in the plumbing.

We have a front loader and we have no problems with it. There is no floor drain, it is upstairs and goes right into the sink drain above the trap. I think it is something else, something in the plumbing.

Ok, good luck with it.

Are you referring to the lint trap on the bottom front on the front loaders? Yes, manufacturers say to clean this little lint catcher out once a month. Yes, that water smells rotten!

Another thing I've discovered is most front loader companies don't talk about, but the drawer that you add the detergent and softener will get very stinky and if you pull it out completely, you will see gunk and mold growing under the trays. Take them apart and rinse in hot water.

Lastly, once you do a load of wash, leave the washer door open overnight, as many of the smells are from inside the creases in the seal.

I also have a front loader, if you don't leave the door open when not in use rubber gasket will stink I also run the machine on a clean cycle,there is a spot for bleach we're you put the fabric softener

Can you insert an image or two (from under the sink)? Is it possible the drain arrangement is creating/functioning as an "S" trap that is sucking itself dry, thereby allowing sewer gas to come out of the sink drain?

For frontloaders, after the final wash of tge day, one shoukd lift the door gasket (by the tub) and wipe under it to rid the water standing there. It does create an offensive odor.

Lots of bad reports on smelly front-loaders.
I follow manufacture's (LG) advise;
Once a month I run the machines clean cycle.
Bleach in detergent bin, and in the bleach bin.
Cycle takes around 2 hours
ALSO, you need to keep door cracked open to let it dry out, whenever it's not in use.

Washer is now about 7 years old, no stinks.

I'd try doing a clean cycle twice in a row, and see if it helps.

Make sure the drain hose is not inserted too deep into the drain. Ive had them siphon traps from the velocity when inserted too far.

Back