Washer sizes for hose bibbs?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasadena_commut

Reaction score
What size washers are most likely to be in a hose bibb? Standard size hose.

Until recently I used to buy washers at OSH as they always had a very good selection. Now that they have closed the closest hardware store is Home Depot, and their washer selection these days is abysmal. One of our hose bibbs has started to leak and it needs a new washer, possibly a new screw (but probably not). I didn't want to take the bibb apart and bring the washer over because the odds were too high they might not have anything in stock that would work. The "help" at Home Depot couldn't offer a suggestion for what size washer a hose bibb for the usual size hose might use, they didn't have anything like a "hose bibb repair kit" nor did they have a pack with an assortment of washers. (Something they used to carry.) The guy did offer to sell me an entire new hose bibb. No thanks to that - these are ancient galvanized iron pipes and I don't screw anything off or on unless there is absolutely no choice.

Yes, I know the cap washer (or whatever the proper name is) might leak after the main washer is replaced. But that is less of a problem since the hose is only rarely used. A little leak out the top only when it is open isn't a big deal, and I will be able to order a part to replace it whenever since there would be no urgency.

Thanks.

the reason he was going to sell you a kit is because their are hundreds of different brand names of hose bibs
and they do not all use the same 2 washers
if you could tell us the brand name a part is easy to find
if you do not know the brand name then buy a kit

or. take it apart and schlep the old parts to the hardware store or plumbing supply house for a visual fit

"I didn't want to take the bibb apart and bring the washer over because the odds were too high they might not have anything in stock that would work." :confused::confused:
Should of at least taken it apart to look at it. Then simple matter to carry stem to wherever to look for a match. If no luck, a couple of minutes to reassemble.

Following up on this.

Finally had time to get to this today (it wasn't a very bad leak and it has been raining a lot lately). Removed handle screw. Handle was stuck on hard and would not come off with reasonable force. Was able to remove stem by unscrewing the nut. The washer on the end of the stem had all markings obliterated but one in the washer kit matched and was marked "OO" and "1/4S". Checked the stock online at the nearest Home Depot and, you guessed it, no "OO" washers in stock. There were some in another nearby HD. So it is a good thing that I had ordered the washer assortment. (Although as it turned out that is also the size for the washers on the stems for the faucet in the garage sink. Because of that coincidence I also had a small pack of these washers which had been purchased previously - from Charter Oak Hardware in Covina, a store about 13 miles away. I heartily recommend them for any Los Angeles readers who ever need a hard to find plumbing part and sales people who know what they are talking apart.)

For the sake of argument, had I not preordered that washer set (or had the OO's from COH) I would have gone to the nearest HD with the stem in hand. About 3/4 of the people in the plumbing department know nothing, and so they would not have recognized the washer. 1/4 of the people who work there know their stuff, but they would not have had the part, and would have redirected me to the other HD (a bit farther away, in the opposite direction.) On an earlier visit their plumbing guru (who is rarely there when I visit) recognized the part but said HD didn't carry it. Then he looked up and down the aisle to be sure the coast was clear, leaned in, and whispered that COH was the place to go because none of the big box hardware stores were going to carry it. Best advice I ever received at a HD!

Back