Washer size - no clue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGkent

Thank You
Reaction score
I replaced 3 bibbs today that the washers were worn out. Neither HD nor Lowes had matches for the washers that I could determine. I've spent couple hours trying to figure the sizes so I can save the old hose bibbs, and reuse them next time because they are in fine shape otherwise. Seems a waste to toss them when the seats are good and all they need is a washer. I measured the washers and the stem end where they mount. Does anyone who works with faucet washers all the time know what sizes these are?

Old washers:
Washer 1
OD .460" 29/64?
ID .192" 3/16"?
Thickness .145" 5/32"?

Washer 2
OD .600" 19/32"?
ID .165" 5/32"? or maybe crushed 3/16"?
Thickness .143" 5/32"?

Washer 3
OD .880" 7/8" ? 29/32"?
ID .203" 13/64"? or opened up a little from the shank on the screw maybe 3/16"?
Thickness .154" 5/32"?

if you got to a PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE they should be find you bibb screw/washer kit

i wish it was that simple. The closest that sells that small stuff is 25 miles each way in traffic - like a 45 minute drive. Everyone wants to sell kitchens from their plumbing showrooms these days. All the good places near me that sold real plumbing supplies folded in the 2008 - 2010 recession. People around here don't fix things like they used to - they replace them. I tried recently to get a HVAC shop I've dealt with for 30 years to sell and install a new compressor. They wanted the same profit as if they were installing a whole new HVAC system. The world has changed. You should have seen what I had to go thru 2 years ago to find the anode specified by AO Smith for my water heater.

1 Downtown Sacramento Plumbing Supply nill, 1 South Sacramento Plumbing Supply 2 of the 3, and one old time Hardware store got the final washer.

So the solution was to visit an old time hardware store because HD, Lowes, and two plumbing supply houses couldn't get me there but an old time hardware did. Maybe 65 miles driven total.

In case you are wondering, as measured the numbers turned out to fit:
measured .460" is 000
measured .600 is 1/4L
measured .880 is 5/8L

1 Downtown Sacramento Plumbing Supply nill, 1 South Sacramento Plumbing Supply 2 of the 3, and one old time Hardware store got the final washer.

So the solution was to visit an old time hardware store because HD, Lowes, and two plumbing supply houses couldn't get me there but an old time hardware did. Maybe 65 miles driven total.

In case you are wondering, as measured the numbers turned out to fit:
measured .460" is 000
measured .600 is 1/4L
measured .880 is 5/8L
maybe you mentioned this but have you ????checked online???????

funny joke. A guy spends a couple hours looking on line for an answer, makes a post that he needs help with it, and someone suggests, "Did you look online?" Thank you Geoff for the suggestion, yes I did, that is where I started but the information online differs from site to site.

funny joke. A guy spends a couple hours looking on line for an answer, makes a post that he needs help with it, and someone suggests, "Did you look online?" Thank you Geoff for the suggestion, yes I did, that is where I started but the information online differs from site to site.
Not to mention that you really didn't know the size designations of the washers, to feel confident enough to order them on line. I know I wouldn't.

I considered a kit but then how would I know what sizes I need to check if they are in it. Right?

it is not rocket science dude,
1[ open the box
2] look in the box
3] choose a washer that looks like the old washer
4] fit the washer onto the stem
5] opps...need a smaller one
6] pick up a smaller, put the other back in the same trey it came out of
7] aah yes, that fits nicely
8] install bib screw
9] install stem, bonnet and handle
0] turn water on
11] do it work? yes it do
12] write up work order and knock on door

it is not rocket science dude,
1[ open the box
2] look in the box
3] choose a washer that looks like the old washer
4] fit the washer onto the stem
5] opps...need a smaller one
6] pick up a smaller, put the other back in the same trey it came out of
7] aah yes, that fits nicely
8] install bib screw
9] install stem, bonnet and handle
0] turn water on
11] do it work? yes it do
12] write up work order and knock on door

as long as the size you need is in the box, right? Maybe you are like Johnny Carson and can put your forehead to the screen and know what is in a box online. BTW - none of the kits I looked at had a washer as large as the 5/8L or 7/8 which is .875". Do you glue two together when that happens brighteyes?

as long as the size you need is in the box, right? Maybe you are like Johnny Carson and can put your forehead to the screen and know what is in a box online. BTW - none of the kits I looked at had a washer as large as the 5/8L or 7/8 which is .875". Do you glue two together when that happens brighteyes?

the kit i show has the sizes you need
you can either order it or not,

sizeod.png

where are the 5/8L and the 000? That is a lot to spend for one 1/4L washer. From what I understand, 5/8 and 5/8L are different sizes but then again questions like that are why I started this thread. I do have one of those kits last time I bought one and it did not have what I needed. I bought 2 of each washer yesterday between the last Plumbing showroom and the old time Hardware who appears to have a complete selection of different sizes. Finished and rebuilt bibbs below. Ready for the next time I need one and I have spare washers for them too. Thank you for your suggestions.

Attachments

• rebuilt.jpg
    rebuilt.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back