washer/shower sharing vent stack

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stdyhand

Reaction score
I have a mobile home and I plan to relocate the washing machine and dryer to the master bathroom so my wife can use the current laundry area as a food pantry. We have no building code department but I want this done properly so I don't have problems later.

I want to put the washer on the other side of a wall from the shower. The shower drains through the floor into a 1.5" drain. The vent, also 1.5, tees off about 1 foot and takes a 90 turn up through the wall and penetrates the roof. I want to put the washing machine on the other side of this wall and put in a P trap which will then tee into the vent stack. The water will drain down the vent stack pipe where it will drain into the same pipe from the shower which leads to the 3" main pipe.

Currently the washing machine is vented with a check vent. My question is can I hook the washer drain into this vent stack and let it drain down through the current piping leading over to the main or will this create a suction on the P trap for the shower? If this can be done I can eliminate the check vent.

Yea frodo,they are expensive I've had the 2012 just haven't really used it.or when I did use it I couldn't understand it...well now I'm going to start getting more serious on my journey to open my own company.

Yea they do , but It's lack of mental health that I have😀... Anyways , I believe I made a mistake on my response.. I don't think the sanitary tee for the washing machine has to be 6 inches above the flood rim of the shower it shouldn't matter right?beacuse it has a vertical vent pipe on it already. I don't have my code book on me to verify right now..

Thank you for that information. I have a couple more questions. I noticed the other day when I flushed the toilet I heard a gurgling sound from the sink. It drains into the same line the tub does and the tub does drain slowly. Since this is a mobile home though the tub had/has no vent. The sink is vented by a check vent only which is new. The only atmospheric vent is the one next to the shower which I will now also be using for the washer.

What do you think is the reason for this gurgling when the toilet is flushed? Also, do you think the tub would benefit from a check vent?

Because I am installing a new tub and sink in a different location I now have the ability to install a check vent for the tub as well. I can run a check vent up inside a wall at the end of the tub and have an access panel on the other side which is a closet area. I am not sure if this would help the tub drain better. The old tub didn't have an overflow either. The new tub however will have a functioning overflow pipe.

on your shower. no, wet venting is for 1 or 2 fixture unit fixtures

washer is a 3 fixture unit.

you will have to go under the trialer,,,wye off of a 2'' line

90 uo into a wall, install a vent and trap

then vent the fixture..revents are not allowed on the aav...it will require its own aav

then vent the fixture..revents are not allowed on the aav...it will require its own aav
I'm not understanding. I was already told it was ok to use the showers atmospheric vent as a drain for the washer. It sounds like your disagreeing with the above post. Currently the shower is the only fixture vented to the outside.

" The shower drains through the floor into a 1.5" drain. The vent, also 1.5, tees off about 1 foot and takes a 90 turn up through the wall and penetrates the roof."

Auto washer drain needs to be 2"
you want to stack it on the 1-1/2" vent for the shower?

"I want to put the washing machine on the other side of this wall and put in a P trap which will then tee into the vent stack. The water will drain down the vent stack pipe where it will drain into the same pipe from the shower"

You will suck the trap seal out of your shower every time you use the auto washer.

Frodo Have you had your coffee this morning! I think your previous response was correct.

" The shower drains through the floor into a 1.5" drain. The vent, also 1.5, tees off about 1 foot and takes a 90 turn up through the wall and penetrates the roof."

Auto washer drain needs to be 2"
you want to stack it on the 1-1/2" vent for the shower?

"I want to put the washing machine on the other side of this wall and put in a P trap which will then tee into the vent stack. The water will drain down the vent stack pipe where it will drain into the same pipe from the shower"

You will suck the trap seal out of your shower every time you use the auto washer.

Frodo Have you had your coffee this morning! I think your previous response was correct.

lol...i thought i was right, to early, did not feel like being ornery

You are going to have issues if you attach a washing machine to an 1 1/2" line that vents another fixture. Do not do it, you need to run a separate line, minimum 2", from the 3" main drain line over to the new laundry location. You can tie the vent for the laundry back into the 1 1/2" vent for the shower, that will be OK.

Sorry guys I messed up on this one. I found an answer and got ,excited to post, I should have looked at all the fine details . Good save frodo and david

I'll just get under there and run a 2" drain line straight to the main and inside just use the vent stack for venting. I will not use it as a drain if it will cause proplems later. Tomorow morning I am going to pick up all the 2" pipe and fittings to get this job done. I appreciate the advice. It saved me a headache later.

I'll just get under there and run a 2" drain line straight to the main and inside just use the vent stack for venting. I will not use it as a drain if it will cause proplems later. Tomorow morning I am going to pick up all the 2" pipe and fittings to get this job done. I appreciate the advice. It saved me a headache later.

post up some pictures if you can. use a wye or combo to tie into the 3".
Tie the vent into existing vent 6" minimum above the flood rim of the fixtures.
Have any question on how to tie it in let us know. We'll try to help

Back