washer? or some kind of rubber band?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYgui

Reaction score
hey everyone

here's a 14 sec video of what i'm referring to: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LfZL5aR_Hk3fayEbjetDe68o72_jnoTB/view?usp=sharing

can't upload because file is too big so i put it on google drive to view from there, sorry for the inconvenience.

anyways, the base of that metal sink hose is leaking out water and i think this torn piece of whatever; wrapping around it, is what stops it, but i don't know the name of this thing or maybe the issue lies elsewhere. If anyone can help me out, i'd appreciate it.

thanks for your time.

Looks like the split metal ring is a spring retaining ring.
That hold the spout down into the faucet, and keeps it from shooting out from water pressure.

The rubber seal looks ok, but hard to really tell.

They do get shrunken, worn, or damaged with age, and from moving the spout back and forth.

You will likely need to know the manufacturer and model of the faucet to be able to find a replacement.

From what little I can see, that spout is from a cheapo junky faucet.

As Geofd wisely advised, show more of the spout, and show the whole faucet.

What I;m seeing, is: A split ring which teh part with the nut bears down on to keep things positioned, When the nut is down over it, it there isn’t room for to to expand and come out of the groove, and the nut, can keep decent pressure on it.

In the body the part you’re showing goes into, there is most probably an o-ring which is the actual water seal. You should be able to pull that out, and buy a new replacement.

Most hardware stores have some o-rings in stock. They are sized by the diameter of the ring material, and then the I.D. So a 1/8X5/8-inch o-ring will have a 1/8 round rubber part, be 5/8-ID, and have an OD of 7/8-inch. The best selection of o-rings can be found at your local NAPA store. They stock both imperial and metric sizes, will sell them individually, and typically have a set of calipers to measure them with.

When you put it back together use a good coating of plumbers grease, to lubricate the o-ring..

Latest posts

Back