Want to get rid of this saddle valve. Best option?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsfd12

Reaction score
Got this saddle valve thats a few inches under the cold water shutoff for the sink. It's 1/4" copper that I'd like to replace too if its not super hard...it goes from where you see, up a few inches, down into the floor, then across the kitchen, then up and into the wall and goes into the fridge.

I'm thinking I'll just cut out the saddle valve, put in a shark bite 3/4" to 3/4" shutoff valve with a 1/4" outlet and add the new line and call it a day.

My only question is how do I put the new, poly line where the old copper line is? Do I tie the new line to the old line and drag it into its place? Because parts of the area where it goes are super hard to access. My other question is, is it okay to have a shutoff (refrigerator line) and then another shutoff (cold water for faucet)?

What you have planned will work. It’s be sure to Mark your pipe to make sure the pipe bottoms out into the fitting.

Read the instructions.

To run the new line you could try to connect the two pipes but sometimes the holes are not drilled large enough for the connection to slide through. You’ll have to work that out yourself.

I’d use the copper ice maker tube if it’s still good.

What you have planned will work. It’s be sure to Mark your pipe to make sure the pipe bottoms out into the fitting.

Read the instructions.

To run the new line you could try to connect the two pipes but sometimes the holes are not drilled large enough for the connection to slide through. You’ll have to work that out yourself.

I’d use the copper ice maker tube if it’s still good.

Thank you so much! Do you think the copper line could still be good after 35 years or so with hard water? Our refrigerator's water has slowed to a crawl and all I know how to do it check the refrigerator so I assumed this must be it. I'll check it either way though, no harm in it.

The Sharkbite needs to be installed on nice clean pipe, because the seal is made with o rings.
So I would clean up all that mineral garbage on your copper pipe, with a scotchbrite pad soaked in straight vinegar.
Maybe even a light sanding of any nasty spots after that, with ultrafine wet sandpaper.

Latest posts

Back