Wags Valve

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Any of you have a Wags valve in operation ?

I’ve installed a few of them but the water heaters haven’t leaked so they’re still in service.

I just ordered another one and will be installing next week. I’ll take some pics.

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing some pics.
Yes, the water heater is in the middle of the house without a floor drain or pan that drains to the outside.

Oak hardwood throughout most of the house. Water heater existing is a 15 yr old 40 gal Rheem ekectric. It’s in a bathroom closet.

Same house has a 50 gallon Rheem gas that’s 18 yrs old. It’s located in a closet outside without a pan. I’m replacing that one also and installing a pan.

Same house I’m also installing a main water shut off valve outside in a meter box.

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Got the Wags valve via UPS today. Looks good, nicely packaged.

Last edited:

Bird Doo Head

Reaction score
A friend of mine got a discount on her home insurance for more than the cost of the valve. Cool, huh? She said if she puts in the water & gas model, the discount goes up.

wpns

Reaction score
So what's the mechanism that trips the shutoff? I've seen those in a few condos recently, and now that I know what they are, I want to know how they work. The water dissolves something, the water causes something to swell up, or something else?

wpns

Reaction score
Apparently a single-use device, once your hot water tank fails, replacing the Water And (optionally) Gas Shutoff valve is the least of your problems. It looks like it would be easy to make it resettable (water-activated life vests have reset/recharge kits), but I'm sure their lawyers threw a fit, someone rebuilding it wrong would cause Tasco to lose a lawsuit.

Of course, if your over-temp/pressure valve leaks, then it could get annoying. Probably best to install it with unions in case of nuisance trips? Still at $128 list that might get expensive, but Twowaxhack says there's a 'core charge', so that might help.

Kinda too bad they don't make one with an electrical shutoff, but then adding a Big Honking Breaker probably adds more complexity, and having an electrical element get stuck on is probably less bad than leaving the gas heater running. I'd settle for a low-voltage contact to tie into an alarm system, (or Raspberry Pi), but I suppose a dedicated water sensor is easier for Tasco, then they don't have to deal with UL at all.

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
The idea is that it doesn’t rely on electronics at all.

The relief line is ran independently outside on my particular job.

Any drip that can fill the pan up with 1” of water will activate the WAGS valve and it’ll need to be replaced.

I put a cap on the drain valve, just in case 🤣

The firing mechanism was developed for military lifeboats if memory serves me correctly. It’s pretty reliable.

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
I’ll post some pics up a little later of the install.

I’m about to jump in the van and head to the customers house. I’m doing two water heaters for them today.

No expansion tanks will be used, the system is open. Our city code doesn’t require it, the model code was amended by the local board.

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Apparently a single-use device, once your hot water tank fails, replacing the Water And (optionally) Gas Shutoff valve is the least of your problems. It looks like it would be easy to make it resettable (water-activated life vests have reset/recharge kits), but I'm sure their lawyers threw a fit, someone rebuilding it wrong would cause Tasco to lose a lawsuit.

Of course, if your over-temp/pressure valve leaks, then it could get annoying. Probably best to install it with unions in case of nuisance trips? Still at $128 list that might get expensive, but Twowaxhack says there's a 'core charge', so that might help.

Kinda too bad they don't make one with an electrical shutoff, but then adding a Big Honking Breaker probably adds more complexity, and having an electrical element get stuck on is probably less bad than leaving the gas heater running. I'd settle for a low-voltage contact to tie into an alarm system, (or Raspberry Pi), but I suppose a dedicated water sensor is easier for Tasco, then they don't have to deal with UL at all.
What I will say about the link you provided.

The link states that the valve is unaffected by high humidity. That’s not true. High humidity environments can make the unit activate over time.

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
No one caught that I piped the wags valve backwards.
🤡

I had to correct it after I took the pics 🤣

Latest posts